• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle breather tube

magimerlin

NAXJA Forum User
I finally put on my extended rear e-cables and rear brake hose. But my ? is what does everyone do with and or about the rear diff breather tube. And yes I know extending it is the answer and I will be doing that but... Has anyone moved it from the frame (yes I know its not really a frame) mount to anywhere higher. Any ideas would be great. Thank you

i was thinking the same thing, Though i haven't done this yet i was planning on placing my up along side the gas tank filler neck and let it breath right by the cap.makes for a good refrence point to know when you start gathering water in the axles.
Mr.X:peace:

88RIxj said:
i was thinking the same thing, Though i haven't done this yet i was planning on placing my up along side the gas tank filler neck and let it breath right by the cap.makes for a good refrence point to know when you start gathering water in the axles.
Mr.X:peace:

yup, I did that a while ago. makes for good laughs at the full serve gas stations.

my axle breather is pulled up to in between the sheet metal in the body drivers side about mid window high right at the tailgate. I thought that was factory :lol

mine goes up by the tank and skid, between the bumper and body and then by the taillight and up towards the top of the hatch. I think I'll first take water into the tank before I get water into the axle ;)

My XJ has been through many, many variations, has a D44/D60, is cut down in the back, and runs 37's. I've wheeled all over the west, with many, many trips through the water on the Rubicon and through the rivers running Fordyce, and other places.

My rear diff breather is still routed to the frame in the stock location. :)

Move it if you want, or don't worry about it. The reason it's routed there in the first place is because the curve of the frame makes an air pocket. You always check the diff for water when you do deep crossings anyway, sometimes I've had water in the diff, and sometimes not.

Goatman, never gave it much thought, since I stay away from water that would cover my tires--but just how do you check for water in your diffs? The obvious would be to pull the covers; but that would cause serious delays and create a need to carry more than one diff refill. So, is there a trick to testing for water, or do you just accept that deep water crossings require drastic measures?

I ran mine up through the tank skid, into the hatch area and looped it over the hatch stop, creating an air pocket. I'd have to really sink the back end to get water down the vent.

HPIM1094.jpg

Back