• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"moaning" in my front end

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently put new axle u joints and upper and lower ball joints on my jeep and ever since there is a low pitched moan from my front end, I notice it at very low speeds when turning right and braking slightly. While I was under there I shot all of the tie rod ends etc with grease. Any clue where this noise is coming from? Sometimes I think I can feel it in the steering wheel but I could be imagining that. Its a 96 cherokee 4x4 all stock with about 145,000mi, pretty new monroe shocks and other than that it is stock suspension and ride height. Tires are a little over sized but that didn't make any difference for the past 10K mi

Thanks for any ideas

I'd X2 on the power steering. Either your fluid is low or you P/S pump is dying.

At idle in your driveway turn wheel to either side and hold it. If the moan is more evident there, that is your likely problem.

Thanks for the replies, the power steering fluid level is good. I know what you mean with the power steering noise but it sounds like something else. Seems like its coming from the axle or area I was working on (ball joint, ujoints) but i could be wrong

pull the front driveshaft and see if it still does it. If it continues, you've prolly got one of the akle shaft joints in a bind. Often you can "unbind" them with a strike of a hammer on each "ear" of the shaft yolks. Could you have managed to let one of the pins from the u-joint fall into the cap and cause the joint to not turn? You did grease them, yes?:doh:

ChrisRFewell said:
pull the jeep off your girlfriend
:laugh2: :roflmao: :laugh:

Back