• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RC 3" lift install problems

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well a buddy of mine is installing the rough country 3" lift on his 93 xj. I went by to take a look at it cause he was having problems getting the coils in. He has got the stock coils out and the shocks taken off. And with the new springs compressed they just barely fit in the coil buckets but when he undoes the spring compressors the lower control arm touches the top of the mount and won't let the axle drop down and further. I couldn't think of anything else that would allow the spring to fit in there correctly.

If i remember correctly, you don't have to get new control arms with this kit. Atleast i didn't have to when i put mine on. Also, his is a non-disco dana 30 so i don't know if that would be and different than a vaccum disco 30.

I know that this is long and probably kinda hard to understand but the jist of it is the lower control arm is bottoming out and we can't get the coil spring to fit in the correctly without the spring compressors off. Any help you all would have would be great.

Thanks,
Ben

The front axle is just hanging there. Should we try and put a jack under the axle after we get the spring in there and then undo the compressors?

Don't ever make guesses about suspension mods until it is back on the ground with the suspension loaded. If done enough suspension modifications in my 35 years to reiterate it again. Don't ever make.........

:)

get the coils in. load the suspeneion (lower the front axle on jack stands without the wheels on) bolt the shocks and spring retainers back on. put the whells back on and hook the track bar back up. control arms should be fine after that. just did the same thing on a buddies XJ. triming the shock mount where the arm hits helps too see here http://jeepin.com/features/superflex/index.asp

Back