• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard is a AA SYE on a '95?

SnagglePuss

NAXJA Forum User
'95 NP 231 case. Advance Adapters SYE.

I'm not afraid, but I dont want to get in over my head, either. Are there are any special tools/techniques that I will need? I have most hand tools, air, etc.

My local shop (trustworthy) says he would charge 3 shop hrs and not have to remove the whole case - just split it in the vehicle.

SnagglePuss said:
'95 NP 231 case. Advance Adapters SYE.

I'm not afraid, but I dont want to get in over my head, either. Are there are any special tools/techniques that I will need? I have most hand tools, air, etc.

My local shop (trustworthy) says he would charge 3 shop hrs and not have to remove the whole case - just split it in the vehicle.
Youll need a good set of snap-ring and lock-ring pliers,the rest is pretty straight forward!

yeah, good snapring pliers help a ton! But even crappy ones and a small screwdriver work. Certainly not worth paying 3 hours shop time for.

Now if it were a hack 'n' tap type, I might say drop the shaft off at a shop and have them cut/drill/tap it on a lathe..but the assembly is a cakewalk.

In fact....here's a complete write-up to the AA SYE in a 231:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/SYE-CV.html

Just take your time and have fun....once you do it, you'll be saying to yourself, "I can't believe it was that friggin' easy!" =)

EDIT: Oh you can skip that crap where they remove the Tranny skid plate too....I don't know if it gets in the way on a TJ, but it didn't pose a problem on either my YJ or XJ.

Last edited:
Yeah it was for the most part pretty easy, the hardest part was putting the case back together, that's only because I did the split in the rig. You're basically doing it blind, but with a bit of wiggling and turning the new shaft a bit at a time, it slips back in. On mine, I needed to cut the shift rod on the four wheel drive shift lever, not everyone has that issue. I think it was just my luck, lol. But as for doing the actual swap out of the old vs new shaft, it's all basic common mechanic skills. I used a pair of snap ring pliers from autozone, they said heavy duty and even have the removable tips, worked like a charm. Like San Diego said, have fun and relax.

Back