• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 to 4.0 swap

jonb8

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't posted much because I usually find what I need too with search but I need some advise. I've got a 86 with a 2.8, body is excellent and runs good just underpowered. I've been looking for a 4.0 xj to swap my lift and stuff too. I found a 87 2dr with a D44, LSD,410's, skids and front and rear tow hooks. Seems to run good it's got an automatic with a 272 transfer. $500.00 but the body is rough and floor pans are gone. Should I consider a swap or just keep looking? here's a pic of my XJ.
Picture078.jpg

Picture078.jpg

Personally I'd keep looking. The 4.0 into the 86 is a challange. pm old man he did it.

My son & I did this swap. 88 cke 4.0, auto into a 2.8 86 mj. If you are happy with how the doner jeep runs and 500 for everything. then do it. We set the two beside eachother and had at it. Wasn't that bad took our time used as much from the doner as possible, wire harness to window washer bottle. even the bucket seats. Let me know if I can help ya.

srimes said:
it'd be a good canidate for a 3800 v6.
Talked to the 60 degree guy's and they told me I'd never get the torque out of it to turn 33"s I have to go look at a 93 4 door tomorrow. But I'd just like to have the D44 and the gear, Plus I really hate to give up on my 2.8 jeep. If this 93 tomorrow is what I'm looking for I'll buy it if not I'll decide then.

Triple4x4 said:
My son & I did this swap. 88 cke 4.0, auto into a 2.8 86 mj. If you are happy with how the doner jeep runs and 500 for everything. then do it. We set the two beside eachother and had at it. Wasn't that bad took our time used as much from the doner as possible, wire harness to window washer bottle. even the bucket seats. Let me know if I can help ya.
Thanks I might need the help, I just hate to give up on a really good jeep.

jonb8 said:
Talked to the 60 degree guy's and they told me I'd never get the torque out of it to turn 33"s I have to go look at a 93 4 door tomorrow. But I'd just like to have the D44 and the gear, Plus I really hate to give up on my 2.8 jeep. If this 93 tomorrow is what I'm looking for I'll buy it if not I'll decide then.
The 60 degree guys(whoever they are) are stupid. There plenty of four cylinder Jeeps and Yotas(and many other kinds of vehicles) that have enough power to turn 37's. The problem is having the proper gearing in the axles and/or transfer case.

I see no reason why not to use the donor Jeeps drivetrain though, and the d44 would be very nice. For $500, you could buy it and part it out; XJ d44's can go for $350.

I'd drop in a 4.3 Chevy if I were doing the swap though. Definitely cooler than a 4.0:D

ddeadserious said:
The 60 degree guys(whoever they are) are stupid. There plenty of four cylinder Jeeps and Yotas(and many other kinds of vehicles) that have enough power to turn 37's. The problem is having the proper gearing in the axles and/or transfer case.

I see no reason why not to use the donor Jeeps drivetrain though, and the d44 would be very nice. For $500, you could buy it and part it out; XJ d44's can go for $350.

I'd drop in a 4.3 Chevy if I were doing the swap though. Definitely cooler than a 4.0:D
My fault I said that wrong. A guy on there has a 4.0 jeep and a hopped up 3.4 and he said I would never get the torque to match a 4.0. Not unless I spent tons of cash. Made sense don't reinvent the wheel, just get a 4.0 and it's a bolt in.

jonb8 said:
, just get a 4.0 and it's a bolt in.
SPOBI!
No it is not just bolt in. There are diferences in the unibody that were made to get the 4.0 in there. It would be easyer with the jeeps side by side like triple4 said but still not just bolt in.

Ghost said:
SPOBI!
No it is not just bolt in. There are diferences in the unibody that were made to get the 4.0 in there. It would be easyer with the jeeps side by side like triple4 said but still not just bolt in.

yep the engine bay and motor mount locations on the 84 to 86 are in smaller and in different locations. also you tranny uses a GM bolt pattern not the AMC 4.0 bolt pattern. You would need to swap tranny also. ID find and astro van with a 4.3 for 500.00 and call it good

jonb8 said:

HUH?
A 60 deg V6 can't out perform a 2.5L? Who are you kidding?
My YJ with stock gears (4.10) is running 33 X 12.50's with out issues, and it's been doing it for years on and off-road. It came from Colorado and has done some seriously high altitude stuff without a problem.

I have also owned a 2.8L Cherokee. With no engines mods, 4.56 gears and 31" tires, it loved running at highway speeds and had more than enough passing power to spare.Low end torque wasn't too awful bad, about the same as my YJ, but there was no low end HP.

Ron

rockwerks said:
yep the engine bay and motor mount locations on the 84 to 86 are in smaller and in different locations. also you tranny uses a GM bolt pattern not the AMC 4.0 bolt pattern. You would need to swap tranny also. ID find and astro van with a 4.3 for 500.00 and call it good

but isn't the 4.3 a 90 degree motor and the 2.8 a 60 degree motor... that wouldn't be bolt in either.. AA has the adapter for the tranny, its about 600 bucks..

okie@jeeps-offroad said:
but isn't the 4.3 a 90 degree motor and the 2.8 a 60 degree motor... that wouldn't be bolt in either.. AA has the adapter for the tranny, its about 600 bucks..
Yes, it would not be bolt in at all. The only ones that I know of that are bolt in are the 3.1 and 3.4.

Ghost said:
Yes, it would not be bolt in at all. The only ones that I know of that are bolt in are the 3.1 and 3.4.

correct and I have a nice 3.4 sitting here at the house looking for a good home. only 3000 miles on the build

Back