• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vinyl paint/dye question...

chrisja77

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone used any of the vinyl dye/paint for interiors? Just got my seats installed, but they are the wrong shade of brown...lol I'm wanting to get a darker brown center console to match, but that's not a factory option.
wallbash.gif
Can I use some of this stuff to refinish the console? Any help would be appreciated. Here is a pic so you can see the shade difference.

010.jpg

I used that Duplicolor stuff and turned gray door panels black to match my mj, did it about two months ago and has held up well and looks good. Just don't half-ass the prep

Something I've been looking into recently is getting a ZJ center console installed in my XJ. I know the ZJ transmission shifter would bolt up to the XJ floor which would give the console one mounting spot. I think the T-Case shifter is in the same spot which would give it another. All you'd have to worry about is the rear air duct and ebrake more or less.

be thankfull you dont have the ugly ars garnet red like mine has. :puke:
honestly though, i have never seen that dye/interior paint hold up on the seats. too much wear involved id imagine. but hey, its worth a shot. good luck. btw, i think the grey looks just fine.

90PioSport99 said:
Something I've been looking into recently is getting a ZJ center console installed in my XJ. I know the ZJ transmission shifter would bolt up to the XJ floor which would give the console one mounting spot. I think the T-Case shifter is in the same spot which would give it another. All you'd have to worry about is the rear air duct and ebrake more or less.

That would be freaking awesome since the center console I took these seats out of is in great shape, but I have a manual transmission, so I don't think it would work for me.

2stix said:
be thankfull you dont have the ugly ars garnet red like mine has. :puke:
honestly though, i have never seen that dye/interior paint hold up on the seats. too much wear involved id imagine. but hey, its worth a shot. good luck. btw, i think the grey looks just fine.

I'm looking at repainting the center console, not the seats. And I guess it's hard to tell by the pic, but the seats are brown. Just a dark brown. The GC I took them out of had the dark brown trim on the bottom half, and light tan (the same color as my interior) on the top half. Looked pretty good.

The vinyl paint will hold up just fine. Krylon Fusion, make sure you prep it right and let it dry before painting. I did my cargo cover, dash and Husky mats. Not to mention my bumper endcaps and my grill. Your center console will be fine. Good luck finding the correct shade (personally I think brown and beige go together great).

Oh ... and isn't that ugly ZJ color called "taupe"? My sister had one with that interior ... ugh! On second thoughts, paint the interior beige to match the console ... heh, heh

Last edited:
x2 on the prep. I learned the hard way. If you take your time and pay extra attention to detail when preparing the surface, it'll last. the only problem you might have is the pad on the top of the console, if you put your elbow on it hard enough, after a while that stuff will start to flake off

Thanks for the input fella's. I am thinking of replacing the carpet, and if I do I'm gonna go with a darker color. That will match the seats better, and show less dirt and grime. I think I'll wait till I get the carpet switched out and see what it looks like then. I don't want everything in there brown, it'll just be too dark then.

Back