• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rk 3 link, vibes, noise, rough

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
First of all I searched and found out that many have had some noise and road noise with the Rk joints and arms. This is not the joints making the noise. Im sure it could be better if I took the joints apart and packed them with grease rather than using the crappy zirks they supply but that wouldnt fix this noise/vibe. Could it be the front pinion angle? It feels just like a driveshaft vibe coming from the front shaft but it did this when I had the shaft removed as well. Didnt have any vibes or noise before the 3 link install. Any similar situations or any ideas?

I am not to familiar with the RK 3link but if it has johnny joint style in all the arms it will transmit alot more vibes and noise into the chassis. The rubber bushings insulate a lot of the vibes and noise out of the chassis. These may have been there before. How bad is the vibe?

Remove your front drive shaft, and take her for a spin. Still have the noise?
Is this your first lift project with an XJ? Replacing rubber control arm and leaf-spring bushings with the harder, after market bushings, will result in louder interior noise, like 00Classic stated.

No I lifted it 4.5" with the rubicon superflex kit before this. I had the front shaft out and it made the noise even with it out. I took the shaft out to put the long arms in and drrove it like tha for a bit. Im thinking its road noise being transmitted through the arms but then again its so much louder that Im not sure if that could be it.

The noise is probably due to using the Johny joint "3rd" link to the top of the diff.

Back