• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stocking the Jeep

T3hk1w1

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I've started the long road toward filling my Cherokee to the ceiling with misc recovery stuff. I'm looking for some advice on what to stock it with.
Besides spare parts, what stuff do you suggest to go in it? This is a daily driver that does occaisionaly see some mud, rock ledges, ect.
So far the list includes-

-tow strap(s)
-LED maglite
-full set of fuses
-first-aid kit
-fire extinguisher
-D-shackles
-crossbar wrench
-Hi-lift jack
-Fire extinguisher

On the fire extinguisher, I am thinking a Kidde Pro 340, but can anyone suggest a location to mount it that will be out of the way of cargo/passengers?

I keep mine on the floor between my door and my driverseat.
I also keep a small box with a spare for all external lights (turn, brake, ect) never know when one will go out

What I have found do be helpful is a boxed rachet set... just something simple say 90-150 pieces... not my entire garage but sure helps out here and there and generally folds back into the box...

vise grips, and a bfh along with spare parts.

I like a simple bottle jack if you don't have one already. Easier to lift a tire than a hi-lift.

Edit: I also keep a tire patch kit, tire plug kit, and spare valve stems.

The Maglite isn't a bad idea - mine is clipped in on the D pillar at the rear of the vehicle. A small fire extinguisher is between the driver's seat and the doorsill, and a larger one is on the other D pillar.

Why is the Mag in the back? Because there's always a SureFire G2 on my belt (I'll be converting that to LED as well one of these days - just haven't done it yet. The original bulb is still going fine.) Check the batteries in your Mag about every quarter, as conventional alkalines do drain.

Check your local Army/Navy store - I've found a batch of 3-gallon rugged plastic water jugs, and one or both is filled with "purified" water (the stuff from the machine.) It keeps a bit longer, and you can use it in you or in your truck.

A folding shovel will probably see a bit more use than a straight shovel - not all of your digging jobs will be that large. Carry both.

An ax is nearly always useful - either to cut wood, or as a hammer.

While you're at the Army/Navy store, get a few bottles of "lifeboat matches" - they're essentially "strike anywhere" matches dipped in paraffin wax. Lighters can run out of fluid - those matches will keep for just about ever. Massage some petroleum jelly into some cotton balls and put them in a baggie or a waterproof bottle, as they make great kindling and firestarters. Pill bottles are great for keeping these things in.

A good fixed-blade knife, to keep under the back seat. I like the M7 bayonet or the Mk3 Mod0 diver's knife - both of which should be available for a nominal price at the Army/Navy store.

A box of spare fuses and lamp bulbs. You should pad the bulbs, but the ATO/ATC plastic blade fuses are difficult to break without some serious effort.

A rope - ten metres or more. Amazing how that can be useful sometimes...

A blanket - in case you spend the night in your truck.

I also keep an old T-10 parachute canopy in the truck - tent, truck cover, sleeping bag, or any of a number of other things. It's usually a bit spendy, but can be well worth it.

Quite a few other things can be useful, but are also specific to various environs (you don't need the plastic sheet and cup to make a solar still in the forest - water is easier to find there.)

Oh - and see if you can't find an old Boy Scout Handbook in your travels. Bloody useful book...

will lighting starting fluid around the bead of an unseated tire reseat it ?

Ive seen something that does that , anyway whatever it is would also come in handy

ManBearPig said:
will lighting starting fluid around the bead of an unseated tire reseat it ?

Ive seen something that does that , anyway whatever it is would also come in handy

yes sir. WD as well. a little gas to, but must must be carful. Did that and shot the tire in the air a good ten feet.:nono:(a little extra used for good measure:roflmao::explosion) However fun easy to pay to have it mounted but great if need be on the trail.

Vitamin bottle full of cotton balls soaked in Vaseline, with waterproof matches mentioned by 5-90.
Signal mirror.
Comm set: cell, cb, and tell a friend when to come looking for you.
Lots of water, just like 5-90 said.

Of course, where you live, you should know the local dangers, too.

I always carry an offroad base for my highlift and a piece of 4x4 to block a tire with to keep the vehicle from moving while on the jack.

remember you want the fire extinguisher out of the way, but still in easy and quick reach....if you do need it there won't be alot of warning.

you should put it somewhere in reach of the driver seat. Another one in the back is okay, but one needs to be in reach of the driver.

Jess said:
remember you want the fire extinguisher out of the way, but still in easy and quick reach....if you do need it there won't be alot of warning.

you should put it somewhere in reach of the driver seat. Another one in the back is okay, but one needs to be in reach of the driver.

That's why there's one between the driver's seat base and the door jamb - open the door and grab it on the way out. That's for immediate response, or for getting things under control until I can grab the other one...

OverTheHillsATTW said:
How about a small .22? You know just incase zombies or something.

Depends. An ArmaLite AR-7 would be just about ideal - it's a takedown rifle that stores into its own buttstock, and it waterproof when you do so (and it floats.) A broken-down AR-7 should fit neatly under the back seat, and can be assembled in about a minute with practise. Fires .22LR.

I think there are a couple of "takedown drillings" out there as well - double-barrelled takedown jobs firing a .22LR in one tube, and .410 shotgun in the other. I can't think of the maker offhand, tho...

Shotloads are available in .22LR for snake country, and they work fairly well (doesn't compare to a shotgun - or even a pistol birdshot round - but it's better than nothing at all.)

Back