• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 HP30 into 2000 XJ?

altierior

NAXJA Forum User
i have been seriously considering installing a locker or LSD in my D30. please let's not get into the relative merits of the locker vs. LSD here; i will save that for another thread later. i have a more immediate question.

i have available to me an HP30 from the 1989 XJ that i have listed in another thread as a part-out. yes, i realize that it has a driver's side vacuum disconnect, but i know that i can eliminate the two-piece axle by swapping in a new shaft and seals. i'll be regearing anyway, so the high-milage gears shouldn't be a problem.

QUESTIONS:

is this a direct swap?

should i forget the '89, and instead try to find a '98 or '99? (this option will be more expensive)

i know that the high-pinion is preferred, but how much of a benefit is it, really?

is it worth the effort and expense?

are there any other considerations?

I have a high pinion from a '93 in my 2001. It is a direct swap if you already have a suspension lift. I didn't need to change my front driveshaft.

The low pinion was introduced to provide clearance for the late model exhaust after emissions regs forced a change in header design.

YES it will bolt right in. The only mod is you have to use your old knuckles (this is a great time to replace ball joints).

the reverse is much stronger than the low pinion version and you have a better drive shaft angle.

If you allready have the axle what's the extra expence?

rogersjeep said:
YES it will bolt right in. The only mod is you have to use your old knuckles (this is a great time to replace ball joints).

the reverse is much stronger than the low pinion version and you have a better drive shaft angle.

why would he have to use his old knuckles? I put a D30 from a 90 into a 99 (it had a damaged axle tube and needed swaped) and I retained the calipers from the donor vehicle and everything was a direct bolt in. Now granted, I am not sure the old style brake calipers are as good as the new ones and I know that they changed the set up so the pads do not interchange, but other then that what wopud be the draw back of using the calipers and brakes from his 89 donor? Not trying to hijack the thread, but just curious.

rogersjeep said:

the expense would be the new axle shaft, ball joints, u-joints, and other misc stuff that will become necessary. the part-out jeep belongs to a friend who also happens to be an auto mechanic with his own shop, so i'll probably give him some cash for the axle. (i might be able to swing it for free if i can sell other parts from the '89 for him.) plus, he lets me use his shop, so i usually pay him a few dollars for his help and the use of his lift-bay and all of the tools and equipment in his shop.

XJ&TJ4ME said:
why would he have to use his old knuckles? I put a D30 from a 90 into a 99 (it had a damaged axle tube and needed swaped) and I retained the calipers from the donor vehicle and everything was a direct bolt in. Now granted, I am not sure the old style brake calipers are as good as the new ones and I know that they changed the set up so the pads do not interchange, but other then that what wopud be the draw back of using the calipers and brakes from his 89 donor? Not trying to hijack the thread, but just curious.
no hijack whatsoever. i am looking for as much info as possible so i can make an informed decision and do the job right.

Vince said:
The low pinion was introduced to provide clearance for the late model exhaust after emissions regs forced a change in header design.
so does that mean the the HP will not clear my existing exhaust?

Do you have any lift at all? or are you at stock height?

My opinion - if you're getting that 89 HP30 for free - gut it, just keep it from inner C to inner C. Replace the seals, block/seal off the vac disco, get it regeared (most places will give you a better deal on regearing if the axle is off the vehicle). Use your current shafts, outer knuckles, unit bearings, rotors and calipers. (provided they are in good shape)

This is provided that you have 2-3" of lift to clear the exhaust.

i have 5". i'll assume from the question that the lift gives me the exhaust clearance?

yes...what happened in 2000, they redesigned the head pipe position, and it was hitting the top of the HP30 diff/pinion....so they took the LP30 that they had been using in the TJ for a couple of years and put it in the XJ to get the clearance they needed.

If you try and swap in a HP30 into a non lifted 2000-2001 XJ, the pinion will hit the exhaust.

There's always the posi-lok cable option too, which will make the disco cable operated.

if you're going with a front locker, you might want that so you can disco the axle when you want the locker "off"

i recently installed my lift from my 87 onto my 2001..im running rustys 6 inch coils..i swapped my factory dana 44 and hp dana 30 using the knuckle from the 87..works fine..like they said though without a lift im sure the exhaust down pipe will make contact..have fun..aloha stan..im also running a pos posi lock

Back