• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebuilt dual rate coils?

xjcjfreek

NAXJA Forum User
Have any of you considered using the coils off an 72 vw beetle with the coilovers, as a homebuilt dual rate spring. I measured the coils on the vw today and its only about 1/4 inch smaller in size compared to an 86 xj coil. If you clamped them together you would come out with a dual rate spring that im guessing would generate about 6-8 inches of lift if not more. Also you could cut down the vw coil to obtain the desired lift. Any thoughts.:dunno:

WHAT :wow:

Stop thinking!

Use the coils off of a Volkswagen coilover, overlap a couple coils, clamp the xj and the volkswagen coils together with the volkswagen coil on top and put it back in the jeep.

Lets go back to highschool here, remember the whole kinetic and potential energy thing? Yeah imagine the potential energy to KILL YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE in two springs bolted togehter! Better yet maybe you should try to weld them?:hang:

The BAD part is attatching them. The stresses that the springs will undergo will require a super super stong way of attatching them to each other if it is at all possible. Its not as simple as it sounds, also you need to think about if the coil would actually compress or kinda turn into a big S looking shape when it tries to compress.

Thanks for the info 94XJ2door5speed. That was exactily what I was looking for. I'm not going to go in this direction, so none of you will have to worry about it. Thanks again.

shelbyluvv said:
Stop thinking!
Actually lay off the drugs and Start thinking!

bics90xj said:
He is not to far off! Just not thought through enough. look at coil overs with 2 diffrent springs.
True enough except the VW spring rate couldnt even support an XJ with no motor in it!

wow? talk about a shortcut to thinking....so if this is true then i could easily swap xj coils into a vw, that makes even less sense. its pretty obvious the spring rate of a beetle coil would be nothing compared to an xj coil. if youre trying to find cheapo coils for 6-8 of lift go get crustys coils, they are around 90$ a set when they are on sale, please please dont try to bolt two coils together... and make sure you wear a helmet when you drive daily if you think bolting two coils together is a good one...

y'all are too quick to flame. The problem with his idea is how he's suggesting joining the coils, which is dangerous. But like bisc90xj said, it is done all the time.

It's not a hard concept, the only downfall is that you'll have to join them in a "guide" style like coilovers do and not in a permanent way. I imagine that if you extended your upper bump stops long enough and stout enough, you could put a slider in there from a 4" coilover. The only problem with that will be how much travel you'll get out of them and you'll have to put a stop so that the upper coil doesn't fall out under flex, which brings you to another problem of keeping the lower coil from falling out when it does flex. With all the limiting you'll need to do, you'd be better off just doing coilovers in the front.

Progress spring rating is a sound idle and done often. His set up of going very light to normal may be useful for road use. Giving a softer ride. But I could see LOTS of body roll setting in with all that lift plus may XJer remove the rear sway bar.
For much offing I would like to see a normal to stiff spring progress. Maybe a stock and a F 150 or F 250 would work better. This would give a fair ride on the road help control roll. On the big bumps the stiffer spring would come into play hopefully preventing bottoming out. Less axle tube bending, rail bending etc.
I would also like to see shocks that are collapse rate sanative. They could see the hard once coming and automatic stiffen up to the max. For under 250 bucks each anyway.
This would save lots of axles and parts on duds that play in the sand and for go fasters in general.

Back