• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting my engine back in

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
I'm almost ready to install my new engine in my 99 Cherokee, question...is it easier to install with the motor mounts off of the engine and already bolted to the frame? I ask this question because it was a PITA trying to get the long bolts out of the mounts while wiggling it loose from the tranny. Any input? Thanks....

p.s. am I red now?????

put the mounts on the block not the frame. that way you are lineing three studs and one hole instead of two holes. unless your engine is perfectly level its gonna be alot easier to line it up with the frame. also make sure you put them in the right way... make sure your oil filter will still screw on.

I left mine on the frame when I pulled the motor, The bolt holes you can begin to line up with to long screwdrivers after you have it mated to the tranny. Support it with a 2x10 and a jack on the oil pan so it sits level, unless you have an engine leveler. After you get a screwdriver through both sides you can slide the bolts in as you pull them out. I did not have any problems and I have done 3 motor swaps

cgmrdc said:
ive always done it the other way and just finished my third... i guess its a preference thing

I think you two said the same thing, just differently. I think you both are saying leave the mounts on the block and deal with lining up the one big bolt when reinstalling the engine. My point originally was that the way the mounts are made it's like they have to go up and over the rubber piece on the frame to get into position with the tranny....I was thinking it might be easier to remove the mount from the block, install the engine to the tranny, align the mount with the hole, insert the big bolt, align the mount with the block and then insert and fasten the 3 bolts from the mount to the block..........

One of them was saying leave them on the engine, the other said to leave them on the frame. As long as you leave them attached to something, and don't try and squeeze them between the engine and frame after you mate it to the transmission, you should be fine.

xj2win said:
One of them was saying leave them on the engine, the other said to leave them on the frame. As long as you leave them attached to something, and don't try and squeeze them between the engine and frame after you mate it to the transmission, you should be fine.

true

leave them on the block. that way you'll already have your oil filter mount bolted on and you'll have the studs to drop it down onto. Im dropping mine back in tonight (hopefully). Dont forget about those upper bellhousing bolts...

99XJWhitey said:
leave them on the block. that way you'll already have your oil filter mount bolted on and you'll have the studs to drop it down onto. Im dropping mine back in tonight (hopefully). Dont forget about those upper bellhousing bolts...

Not only will I not forget about those upper bellhousing bolts but I have already bought new bolts to replace those damn e-12 reverse torx head thing ma bobs!

Back