• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 cherokee stumble and backfire then fine

jesterhh

NAXJA Forum User
I searched the forum and it sounds like might be tps was wandering any other
suggestions. It has new plugs cap rotor wires and fuel filter and air cleaner.
It is fine if cold temps outside. It is bad when warmer outside and car is warmed up, first start in morning no problem. If I take car for ride park 5,10,15
minutes get back in it will stumble and or idle bad until I drive and step on it about half or more and then backfire then it will be fine until I shut it off and restart it warm. I don't have time till later in the week to actually put an ohm meter on it. Anything else possibly

i just had this....turned out to be a broken vac line, loss of fuel pressure at the fuel line quick connect, broken 02 sensors and then a clogged cat...ya...all together haha. id take a fuel pressure test/leakdown test, check to see your in spec with the TPS, maybe vacuum test since its easy and take the cat off and run it without one for a day and see if it goes away... are you getting any codes? cuz a broken o2 sensor, map sensor, tps, cps would all throw codes if something was wrong

seems like this same problem is caused by lots of different things. i had the same problem and replacing the plugs and o2 sensor at the same time fixed it, not sure which one actually fixed it, but you could try replacing the o2 sensor. my engine was running very lean, could see it on the plugs. check yours and see how they look.

Back