• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone elses ps/resevoir lid blow off?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj , I usually hear it start to whine and pop the hood, the lid is usually sitting next to the airbox and fluid everywhere. This happens regularily.

This happened in my 87'.

The pump is bad.

I replaced it and have not had a problem since!

It used to blow when ever I got above 3000 RPM and dropped it back to idle. So pretty much driving anywhere.

I am sure someone could be more specific about the problem with a valve in the pump but I would just replace the pump.

After running without fluid, the rest of the internals can't be in good shape anyways.

XJR

I had a pump I'd replaced that wouldn't keep a cap - they kept vibrating loose and falling off. After I'd lost the third cap, I just got a couple of Velcro cable ties, rivetted them (high up) on the reservoir, and used that to retain the cap.

If you've lost fluid, you could have trouble with the pump and need to replace it anyhow. But, this isn't just an "old pump" issue...

Vibration had NOTHING to do with my cap flying off.

Every time the truck was shut off it would puke from pressure.
Some times the cap would stay on and it would STILL puke out.

A valve somewhere was sticking.

Maybe the problem wasn't in the pump, but changing the pump and the fluid took care of it.

Its probably in your gear box but try flushing the system and installing new fluid. Bet if it just started doing it it will stop with a fluid change.

While this isn't the complete fix for it, it may get you by a little longer before anything needs to be done.

Its been happening since early last summer, I usually just refill it, screw the lid back on and away I go again. I'll probably try and upgade the pump when I install my yj box.

Back