• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pegged oil pressure gauge

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
So while driving today and staring at my new scangaugeII I noticed that my oil pressure gauge was pegged at 80. I pulled over, shut it off and restarted, and the gauge went back to normal at 40.

wtf?

Probably just a bad sending unit. You can grab one at the local parts shop.

I had that problem too on my 2000 XJ. On cold starts the oil gauge would Peg at 80 until the engine warmed up. However it wouldn't reset into the normal range until I turned the Jeep off and back on. I asked some friends and they found no apparent problems so I ignored it. One year later, I switched to Castrol Syntec Blend as I was piling on the miles in City driving and since then I have yet to have this problem. I don't know the tecnical reason other than that Synthetic has cleaning agents in it but 70+ cold starts later I've yet to peg the gauge.

The connection was or is probably loose and you last oil chage someone touched it and or tightened it when chenging filters. So my vote is for a loose connection at the sender.

mine stays at 80 - i have almost 100k on my 99 and it is the sending unit - i just gotta go get one a swap it out - i think i was quoted right at 43 dollars at my local dealership - i checked the wires and unplugged the unit back in and it hangs at 80 still so i just gotta get a new unit - my jeep idles and drives fine but it is just one of things that goes out like a cps sensor

If you replace your sending unit, get the one with the lifetime warranty. Mine goes bad every 9 months to a year. I just take it back to orielly and trade it out, no problem.

If you find out you need one, I'd recommend getting a new sending unit (sometimes called an oil switch) directly from Jeep. My experience is that they not only last longer, they are a smidgen more accurate with your factory gauge.

Thanks y'all. My jeeps a 99, and the gauge seems to be working for now, but if it starts acting up again I'll check into it more.

Mine started doing this over the weekend. I visually inspected the connection and it looked go. I replaced the sensor with a new mopar unit last year. Hopefully it's just a bad connection. I recently changed the oil, so it would make sense that this is a connection problem.

Back