• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange toggle switch??

NWDave

NAXJA Forum User
I was just looking at the headlight switch installation on my 1990 XJ Laredo, it's going out, and needs to be replaced. Anyway, there's a little metal toggle switch on the left hand, driver's side kick panel. I started it up, and toggled the switch to off, and nothing happened. Any ideas on what it could be for? I don't have fog lights, all stock electrical, except for the JVC stereo.

Could be anything, but it's sure not OEM.

It could have been installed by a previous owner for any number of problems but I would trace it down to see where the wires go if there even is any. When i bought mine a couple of years back the idiot before me had a switch rigged up to run the aux fan but didn't do it right and the wires over heated burning through half of the underhood and passenger compartment harnesses.

My friend had something just like what you discribe, it was used to disable the interior lights when the doors are opened. Why you ask, the vehicle was used by the FBI and the lights don't turn on when you open the doors for night-time operations.

could have been for a remote start. I have installed hundreds and they all come with that little metal toggle switch. It's a master shut off so if you ever have to have your vehicle serviced it doesn't start on the tech. They were always installed in that area. If all the other wireing looks stock the previous owner may have had it uninstalled. I good installer could have made it look stock. It's not for anything used on a regular basis if it's behind the kick panel.

It's on the inboard side of the kick panel in plain view, but it can't be reached easily while you're sitting in the driver's seat, by me anyway. My XJ doesn't have an alarm system, or electric windows or locks. There's some extra plug that's not plugged into anything, it looks stock too. I'll check it out later, gotta get some sleep, I work graveyard shift.

Thanks for the help!

trail rate this said:
could have been for a remote start. I have installed hundreds and they all come with that little metal toggle switch. It's a master shut off so if you ever have to have your vehicle serviced it doesn't start on the tech. They were always installed in that area. If all the other wireing looks stock the previous owner may have had it uninstalled. I good installer could have made it look stock. It's not for anything used on a regular basis if it's behind the kick panel.

x2 a toggle switch in that area is almost 99% from an alarm. Depending on the quality of it, it may have also had a push button right next to it for programming.
My jeep had one, and it didnt even have power locks ...:doh:

I added a much better alarm / remote start and got door actuators.

In my car, I put a switch down there so I could flip the switch, and start the car without the clutch pushed down.

When I switch mine on, it kills a homeless person. Maybe you should go downtown and drive around flipping the switch to see what happens for yours.

maybe its a fuel pump kill switch,is your jeep running when you turned it on\off?

85xjproject said:
maybe its a fuel pump kill switch,is your jeep running when you turned it on\off?

You are probably right. But I think if it killed something it would be funnier.:scottm:

I tried it with the engine running, and nothing. Also started it with the clutch out.

The homeless killer death ray may be what it actually is, LOL! I gotta run to Auto Zone, and fetch me a new headlight switch.

Back