• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87-93 front axle swap

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking ahead to the coming December. I plan on regearing the d44 and d30 from my 87 decomissioned xj. I wanted to do this as a winter project and have the axles ready and good to swap in the spring. Upon a bit of work I have done on both I have found a difference in the front axle ujoint ears, cant put my finger on it but there is a difference in the clearance between the ears somehow. Both the 87 and 93 are I6 autos, 93 has a 231 tc, 87 hass a 242 tc, could that be the diff? I want to know if I can just swap the 87 front axle into the 93 after I regear or not. Thanks.

The 93 has the central axle disconect (two piece passanger axle shaft) and the 87 has a non disconect axle (one peice passanger axle shaft) the mounts are the same on both axles the reason they are different is the 242 t-case is a full time t-case and the 231 is a part time t-case

So in short YES you can regear the old and just swap it when you get a chance.

The older axle has smaller u-joints. I put an 85 non disco axle in my 99. I used the outer knuckles, brakes, and axles from the 99 in the now re-geared 85 housing. So yes, your plan sounds like a winner.

Neal

yes both axles are non disconnect, rogersjeep I dont think the passenger side on my 93 is 2 piece, both are solid. So you think the reason the ears of the axles are different is the tcase?

Does your 93 have ABS?

The 87 has 5x260 u-joints.

From 91-95, xj's with ABS have 5x297 joints and non ABS xj's have 5x260 joints.

Regear your 87's axle. When you swap it in, put the shafts from your 93 in and run with it.

Thats what I thought cal, no abs in the 93, just did the hub bearings anyway so I wanted to keep them also. Cal do you know why the ears of the shafts are different?

I'd have to look at the jeeps, but unless one is ABS they should be the same. The smaller joint is weak, the bigger joint is less weak, run what ya got until you start breaking things. :)

Oh also, I guess I need a new carrier if Im regearing to 4.56 right? Will that be just for the front or both front and rear? This has slipped my mind for the moment.

Back