• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat sheilding intake

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Just getting close to installing my longblock just looking for little things to do to help, I cool taped (http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=55535) my intake manifold runners, fuel rail heat sheild plate, and I plan on doing the fuel rail and injectors the best I can. Do the fuel injectors need to be clocked or positioned any particular way, I know this matters on certain engines. Also it it worth it to wrap the stock exhaust manifold? I did it on a smallblock chev and it seemed to help the underhood temps, I have heard stories of wrap making headers and manifolds brittle and prone to cracking.

I've been wanting to do the same thing. As far as injector positioning I don't think it matters whatsoever. Though I did end up damaging two of my injector o-rings from twisting them too much which made them leak. I'll actually void the warranty on my headers if I wrap them so I'm guessin there really is a good reason not to wrap them. As far as the intake manifold however, being aluminum I don't think it would hurt them.

Wrapping headers does seem to make them more prone to cracking. If you are worried about your underhood temps, I'd do some hood vents (Chrysler Lebaron ones are popular, but there are many options people have done).

I would not wrap the X if you craw or tow. Long times at slow speeds and high loads would let the X and the X value over heat.
Wrapping tends to work at the 1/4 because of the short time the engine is under heavy load. Also 1/4 people are use to short engine life and live with it. At speeds air moving over parts help keep thing cool.
A high flow muffler tend to help get the heat out of the engine and engine bay. Vents are also good at low speeds. A trany cooler NOT in front of the rad or engine bay can help.
If your after more HP by cooling the intake. Try cutting the webbing between the runners on the late model intakes. But this has caused a bog in the coldest part of the winter (10 deg. F and lower) for me.

Last edited:
IIRC GoJeep has a web page on an under-intake heat shield he cut and installed, with before and after temps. Looked worthwhile.

I second the idea of not wrapping the exhaust, most reports say it's a "great" racing idea, but rusts out the header in half the time. The power increase is pretty minimal on a Jeep, if at all.

Back