• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella driving light comparisons

I will try and get pics of my 500ff tonight for you

I dont have any graphs, but damn do I love my hella 500's

Compared to my Baja walmart lights, i would never buy them again. I have three of the 500's mounted on my bumper, all with 100w bulbs.

Put it this way, run the stock foglights with no headlights, then turn on your lowbeams. Notice the difference?

Now, go from highbeam to the hellas, same amount of difference.

Im on my third set of 500's (damn deer, semi) I ended up with a set of 500 comets this time not much of a difference from the straight 500,s I had before. They are damn bright though and work great. Depending on where you mount them though I have noticed there is a bit of "bright glow" around the edges of the glass. Mine are mounted on top of my pre runner hoop so they are approx halfway above the hood.
On another note I found both the 500 and the 500FF at Wall Mart recently for 50-60 dollars.

I have two Hella FF300 on my push bumper. They are bright and have great pattern.

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg

I don't have any shots of the pattern but can if you need.

97XJ Jeeper said:
I have two Hella FF300 on my push bumper. They are bright and have great pattern.

I'm also considering the FF200. They have an isolux almost as nice as the FF1000, but better than the FF300. If you say the FF300 have a great pattern, I could only imagine how the FF200's are.

Thanks,

Fran

I have a pair of black magics up front just change out the 55w bulb for the 110w good to go. They have a good pattern and pretty much light up the night....

Any heat problems with the swapped bulbs? O've heard many notorious stories about the lights getting too hot and hitting a puddle, shattering the glass.

DanMan2k06 said:
Any heat problems with the swapped bulbs? O've heard many notorious stories about the lights getting too hot and hitting a puddle, shattering the glass.

None at all i have had water, ice and just about everything else you can think of. I have them hooked up to where the factory fog lights used to be, just might want to use a thicker gauge wire than the stock fog light wire.

97XJ Jeeper, what kind of lights did you use for your roof rack? I've been considering doing the same thing but dont want to waste my money buying lights that dont throw a good light pattern until I find something that works.

The thread's 3 years old...you're most likely talking to a wall. Google is your friend though. Pretty sure all you're going to find in the parts stores are 55w because that's the maximum legal wattage they're allowed to be. Going to have to order higher wattages online

Get hellas, convert them to HID, be done with it. less draw than 100w halogen bulbs and much brighter. Just about any hella light with an HID kit in it will make you a very happy jeeper at night :D

There was a writeup a couple months ago in offroad magazine about how to convert the big hella 4000s to HID, the others are pretty similar. The company used in the article was the one in my sig, the guy who owns it is a member here and can answer whatever questions you have if you do decide to go to HID.

i run hella 500's

they were 30 bucks

and are mucho brighter than my stock headlights.

i think i got the cost to effectiveness ratio down pretty good

got 3 500ff's converted to 55w hid on the stock front bumper and very happy with the light output and bang for the buck.

55w kits can be found on ebay as well.

I just did the conversion on a set of free 500's I pulled out of the junk pile at my old job. (I love rich kids who just throw two sets of perfectly good lights and their wiring kits away) I had the HID kit sitting around from an old car, bored over spring break drove me to doing the retrofit. I don't have any good night shots yet, snow is keeping the ambient light too bright. I also haven't had the opportunity to get out of the city with the XJ in a bit. So this will have to do for ya! Wired through factory fog light switch, and used a single relay (DPST) to power both.

2011-03-16120739.jpg

2011-03-16120717.jpg

35w 4300, I will upgrade to 55w one of these days.

Back