• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i think it's broken

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys..

out hitting it hard today and now she won't go more than a few feet.

i can go forward about 5 feet and back 5 feet, if i try to go further, she locks up.. and goes nowhere..
the front drive shaft has alot of play in it, you can rotate a bit either way, and the knukles on the axles have alot of play as well. Have had a knocking noise at full lock in 4x4 some time now, guessing maybe the u-joints finally went

now is this an axle problem or a rear brake drum problem

it's a 95 4.0 4x4

ouch I had this happen on my 93 it ended up being the front pinion head got sheared off. jack it up and check the function of each diff. it'll be hard if you have spider gears. or just pull the covers. your gear oil will look like bass boat paint

It was a lincon locked 8 1/4 that did it to me (well wife was driving in town). Came to a stop, never went again. Had to come and push it back a few feet to get the chuncks lose from between the gears, then drive home at 5 mph in 4hi in center lane. Of course the whole carrier broke though.

i was able to get home, it seems that something poped..
i was driving at least 35 plus..
could my gears be gone? or something else

i now have a klunking noise when driving.. is that the gears clunking or the knuckels?

i guess i could pull the cover off the axle and see the inside as well

Last edited:
sean,
sorry about what happened. sux. i was actually going to call you to see if you wanted to go out, but i went back to sleep/slept in.

where did this happen at?

redsxj85 said:
diffs is my thing. get a pro in your area with a good rep. I found a lot of guys think they know what there doing and dont. get good quality stuff. I like yukon. but youll get timken bearings with mostly all the brands. shop around. try randys www.ring-pinion.com, and www.4wheelparts.com

never done gears... what all will i need to buy if in fact it is my gears?

also if i'm buying new gears.. i think i'll go bigger gears.. to match my 33's what am i looking for in all.. dana 35 front axle and 8.25 rear axle what gears do i need and what else besides ring and pinion

Last edited:
well on each site there is gear calculators. I like 4.11s with 33s. 3.90s will work well too. all u need is gear set, and master install kit. gears are about 150 and most install kits are 100. I get at least 300 for a full install labor. but prey to god you carrier is fine. if your thinking locker do it now. I do them for free with a gear install. its no extra work.

redsxj85 said:
well on each site there is gear calculators. I like 4.11s with 33s. 3.90s will work well too. all u need is gear set, and master install kit. gears are about 150 and most install kits are 100. I get at least 300 for a full install labor. but prey to god you carrier is fine. if your thinking locker do it now. I do them for free with a gear install. its no extra work.

know anyone in Texas that can do gear work.. that is trustworthy?

update with pics.. i took the differential cover off the rear, and here is what i found.. no metal shavings yet.. but i'm sure this is what stopped from moving anywhere, still locks up at the right slow speed.
DSCF2208.jpg

seems like it is pushed out, and that is what is catching and grinding.. not good i'm guessing

DSCF2209.jpg

this is what that pin goes through, no idea what it is or what

DSCF2210.jpg

here's the other side of that pin, looks pushed in which would be why the other side is grinding..

can i push the pin back in or am i screwed?

no other visible damage than this inside the differential housing.

that pin hlods the spider gears in place. it has to be removed to push the axles in to gain access to the c-clips to remove the axles. if you look in the top piture there is a bolt that holds this pin in place. the bolt has a s,ooth shank that goes in to the pin. remove the bolt. make sure not to round the head, if you to your up the creek without a paddle. the bolt will probably have the shank broke off at the end of the threads. you can get the bolt from chrysler or randys. remove the large pin and inspect. if its not perfect replace it too. do not let the spider gears spin. there kinda a pian to get back in line. both places will have that too. looks like you might have gotten lucky man.

Back