• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Start, No electric

JHAT76

NAXJA Forum User
Have been having issues with Jeep starting. Was slow to turnover. Eventually it just died.Took a while but eventually started by jumping it. Thought maybe the 3 yr old battery needed charging. After fully charging battery there is now no electric. No lights, no radio, not even a warning beep that the key is in ignition? Battery charger gives me a faulty alternator warning. Is this the problem?

Could be. Step one for me would be to have the battery LOAD tested. Any shop, AutoZone, NAPA, even WalMart can do that.

Good luck!! :cheers:

check plus clean all battery wire connections. then have the battery tested, and have the alternator tested...autozon can. then from there replace parts as needed.

jeepcomj said:
check plus clean all battery wire connections. then have the battery tested, and have the alternator tested...autozon can. then from there replace parts as needed.

x2....sounds like a bad connection @ battery to me.

I checked connection on battery. When I did this the lights came back on. As soon as I tried to start I hit a click and all power is gone again.

dude. connections. lights came on when you "checked" them. obviously you have bad/corroded connections and/or wires.

check those first. it only costs you time to pull them and check them, and those being bad can start your vehicle on fire. when i say pull and check, i mean remove entire wire from vehicle...both ground and positive wires.

Don't forget to use a wire brush and clean both the battery posts and the insides of the cable clamps till they're bright. What I've seen happen is: when you go to crank the engine, the heavy draw causes an arc that carbons up the connection, causing it to quit conducting. You may end up having to replace the cable clamp(s).

Sounds like a connection to me. When the lights come on it's because there is enough connection for that. The starter motor is a whole different beast. I had a hard time with my TJ once. Same thing. I fooled around with it enough times that I ended up getting new battery cables. Clean the hell out of those things. Make the terminals and connectors clean and shinny.

Back