• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Definately just scored a wiring harness...

PurpleCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So I saw this thing laying around the shop and thought it looked familiar. Upon closer inspection, I realized it was indeed a 4.0 main wiring harness. It was in like new condition with all the sensors still attached! I don't know what year exactly but it's a late model (98' and up I'm guessing). Knowing the value of said wiring harness, I offered to take it off this guy's hands... and he said sure! AND, he said he's got the intake manifold w/TB and sensors layin around and wanted me to take that off his hands also! Which is handy cause I've been waiting to bore my TB due to my lack of an extra TB layin around so I can still get around while my TB's being bored. SCORE :cool:

So now I'm wondering if everything will work on my 00' XJ. Any insight?

2000 has a different ignition setup....coil rail vs cap/rotor/plug wires

different emissions too, so i'm sure there are differences there too.

I dont think it will because in 2000 is when they went to the distributorless ignition (coil packs instead of the distributor). Things are pretty different in that era, as they are with your 98 compared to 91-97, 87-90 etc.

EDIT:

You may want to use that 2000 intake manifold however. IIRC 99 or 00 is when they also changed to more of a "straight" runner, and bigger plenum compared to earlier years. Doesnt take much to get it to work.. only problem is the PS pump mounting.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm

Last edited:
I looked closer at the harness and it has the connector for the distributorless ignition. That's good news for me. But now I'm thinkin... what can I do with this? There's gotta be somethin I can do with having a whole wiring harness setting right in front of me... any ideas???

PurpleCherokee said:
I looked closer at the harness and it has the connector for the distributorless ignition. That's good news for me. But now I'm thinkin... what can I do with this? There's gotta be somethin I can do with having a whole wiring harness setting right in front of me... any ideas???

I wouldnt think so.. Unless your harness is crap etc, then it really serves no other purpose to be a spare in a rare condition that you need to replace yours. Id sell it and make some money!

A quick look on ebay looks like you could start out asking $25. Since it's a late-model one, you could probably start with ~$50. I know I'd pay $50 for one for my '99 if I needed a new one.

Extra harnesses come in real handy when troubleshooting the harness in your XJ (if what you have is the same). It's a whole lot easier to trace a wire in a harness on the floor than in the vehicle, really a time saver. In conjunction with a good wiring diagram, it can make troubleshooting so much easier. I roll mine up and store them in a plastic bucket.

PurpleCherokee said:

Guys i think your all thinking the wrond way..
All he needs now is
A motor trans transfer case axles shafts fuel sytem steering system some tube and a bender and welder :D :D

PurpleCherokee said:
you guys are looking at it all wrong
He just needs a drivetrain, fuel system, steering, brakes, and some tube, bender, and welder and hell be rockin :D

Last edited:
alwaysready said:
you guys are looking at it all wrong
He just needs a drivetrain, fuel system, steering, brakes, and some tube, bender, and welder and hell be rockin :D

I like how you are thinking

Oh ya, and I forgot... the intake manifold also has a fuel rail AND injectors still attached :) I might go ahead and swap the o-rings. Mine are a fire hazard as many times as I've pulled my injectors out lol.

As long as we're on the topic, I do have a college age harness on my 89 MJ and today I was thinking of swapping it out since I am having electrical demons galore. Some of the wires are obviously cracking and such.

I know a 97 XJ harness that I could probably grab for free.. but would it work and does anyone know what years the difference would be, like did it change for the HO's, etc.

Thanks

purvisdotcom said:
As long as we're on the topic, I do have a college age harness on my 89 MJ and today I was thinking of swapping it out since I am having electrical demons galore. Some of the wires are obviously cracking and such.

I know a 97 XJ harness that I could probably grab for free.. but would it work and does anyone know what years the difference would be, like did it change for the HO's, etc.

Thanks

BIG TIME change from 87-90 to 91-96 and then again from 97-01

The 97 just plainly wont work.

In other words I need one from an 87-90(which will be just as old), unless someone makes a replacement...I heard that possibly HESCO makes one?

Thanks

purvisdotcom said:
In other words I need one from an 87-90(which will be just as old), unless someone makes a replacement...I heard that possibly HESCO makes one?

Thanks
There wiring harness is for 91-96 OBD1 4.0's.

You may just have to find one at the junkyard. Shoot when you get one, it would be cool to re-wire the whole harness yourself, and THEN swap it in.

Back