• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Everstart Maxx (Wally World Special)

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I previously started a thread about which was the best batttery without the triple digit price tag and a few of you swore by the Everstart Maxx I have been looking into these, and from what I'm seeing the 65N model seems to be the best. Unless you were talking about the deep cycle marine battery....but why? So is this right?? the 65N i think it has 1000 ca and like 650 cca.

stay away!!!

I had a regular everstart (black) that lasted about a month over the 1 year free replacement warranty, so they prorated it and I upgraded to the everstart maxx (yellow) which lasted about a month over the 2 year free replacement warranty. And I didn't abuse either one, never drained them or tried to deep cycle them...and both times they worked perfect the day before they failed, cranked fast etc. then the next day not even a click, barely enough to light the dome light, ~10v with no load and ~2v with the door open and key on read with a DMM from the terminals, and neither one would take a charge.

costco batteries FTW

really? your the first to dog them, I've read that there made by johnson, who makes like 40% of all top brand batteries.

I am running the 65N and have been for about 3 years with no problems (yet) and I abuse the hell out of it. I am running a Ramsey 8.5 REP winch, (4) 150W lights, (2) 55W aux back up lights, a Kicker 600W amp and I live in an area that has both very cold and very hot temps. Now granted I have everything wired through relays and have a battery capacitor for the amp, I leave the vehicle playing the stereo for up to an hour or better and does not kill the battery. For the money, it was served me well and not stranded me yet......for under $100 it does well.

jeepman121 said:
really? your the first to dog them, I've read that there made by johnson, who makes like 40% of all top brand batteries.

maybe they've changed then, it was 2001 when I got the first one

I still say costco is the way to go (that is if you or someone you know has a membership) their batts are cheaper than the maxx and have a better warranty, 3yr free and 100mo prorated. I've had one in my truck for 4 years and the jeep for 3 years with no troubles

I bought an Everstart Maxx a couple of years ago, to replace the OEM battery in my '00 XJ. I have a snowplow with electric/hydraulic system, which would pull the old battery way down, sometimes stalling out the Jeep. With the new Maxx, I haven't had this problem. The hydraulic system can pull up to 200 amps for a short duration under some conditions. (snowplowing= cold, dark, wet condtions, therefore requires, heat/defrost, lights, emergency lights, before you start plowing). For the money, I would recommend the Maxx.

Fran

FoMoCo said:
maybe they've changed then, it was 2001 when I got the first one

I still say costco is the way to go (that is if you or someone you know has a membership) their batts are cheaper than the maxx and have a better warranty, 3yr free and 100mo prorated. I've had one in my truck for 4 years and the jeep for 3 years with no troubles
We don't have costco's anywhere near here. But thanks for the tip

I've seen them stock batterys at Wal-Mart, the workers were nearly throwing them and letting them down hard. I wonder why they have a free replacement! Advance has a great batterty for $65.00, its the Auto Craft Silver, also made by Johnson Control (I'm pretty sure). I've used them in a pinch (8:00 at night, needing a new battery) and am still very surprised at the quality. If you can afford it, get a deep cycle Optima, I've had one in my XJ for 2 years, it can take a ton of abuse. The lower capacity red tops are not worth the money to me, I'd spend the extra $ for a yellow top.

FWIW.... My Everstart Maxx (yellow & black) is about 4+ yrs. old and going strong. When I bought it, consumer reports said it was made by Johnson Control (as previously stated) and rated it a "Best Buy".

:cheers:

They are Great batteries... great Warranty, and Wal-Marts open 24-7 across the country if you have problems. They don't test, Inspect etc.. they just give you a New Battery and send you on your way... so if you destroyed it, even knocked a hole in it... Your OK. I don't think anyone can top that. ~Ace~

I wouldn't put so much trust in who makes the battery - it's like tires, the Liberators I bought at WalMart were built in a Michelin owned plant - but that doesn't make them Michelins. They weren't much compared to a nice set of BFG AT/KO's I replaced them with.

Products are built to a price, for that vendor and their market. While working a A-Zone and O'Reilly, Walmart was the number one brand turned in as a core by unhappy owners trying to get away from them. I did the same two weeks ago, bought O'Reilly (thousands of stores in the South and Midwest in small towns WalMart won't go to.) I would have bought an Interstate branded Red Top, but the fed refund wasn't in yet - and I don't need to blow money on looks.

I have used the Neverstart Maxx, it got downgraded at the time under warranty and I didn't get one back. Walmart does things like that on occaison. We've got 5 supercenters in a 25 mile radius and had a store here since the '70's (at one time the largest in the chain.) Big Fan? Not so much.

The Auto departments run regular hours here, no service after 6 PM, and no coverage for obvious abuse. Please don't think your circumstances are an established policy for every store, each can be uniquely different.

~Ace~~ said:
They are Great batteries... great Warranty, and Wal-Marts open 24-7 across the country if you have problems. They don't test, Inspect etc.. they just give you a New Battery and send you on your way... so if you destroyed it, even knocked a hole in it... Your OK. I don't think anyone can top that. ~Ace~

thats not how it works at the y'all-mart I got mine from... they put it on a charger and made me wait around for 20min before throwing a load tester on it to make sure it was really dead. and sorry but no one is going to replace a battery that has a hole in it because it has obviously been abused

jeep ride said:
You cant go wrong on any wal-mart purchase
this may be true were you live,but not here.as the years go by,I have had more and more problems not only with defective parts;but also in getting money back for them.it depends on the person you deal with,but the general attitude of the workers I talk to is not the happy "proud to be at Wal Mart" people shown on commercials.the guy unloading the product may be pissed and drop the pallet-on the other hand the little girl at customer service intent on becomming a manager then acts as if giving a refund means money out of her own pocket.I find in the long run paying more elsewere is a better deal.

xtp45lc said:
I find in the long run paying more elsewere is a better deal.

Agreed. I only buy Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart. At least they can't drop a quart I buy and then 6 months later the quart doesn't take a charge :) . Advance Auto parts AutoCraft Silver, 65$, 2 year free replacement.

I have a Everstart Maxx I havent had any problems yet nock on wood. Less than a year old.

You guys told me the 65N...How the hell are you fitting these under your hood? I ended up getting the 35N which is smaller and it still overlaps battery tray about 1/4 inch.

~Ace~~ said:

I guess this is a good thing, assuming the battery is the issue. If the battery is not bad and they warranty it anyway, your problem is not solved. That battery will also have a short life span. Batteries simply store energy. There are plenty of other issues that cause batteries to die. Very seldom do they die on their own, just out of the blue. I want a place to solve my problem, not slap a band-aid on it.

I personally use batteries built by Deka/East Penn. I use the Co-op sold Deka 9A78DT AGM battery. 785 CCA and 120 reserve capacity minutes. These have worked great for me. One spent time in a Scout working a Warn 8274 for the better part of a day with only a 63 amp alternator charging it.

PacificEd said:
I personally use batteries built by Deka/East Penn. I use the Co-op sold Deka 9A78DT AGM battery. 785 CCA and 120 reserve capacity minutes. These have worked great for me. One spent time in a Scout working a Warn 8274 for the better part of a day with only a 63 amp alternator charging it.
i am running a smaller Deka than you (550 cca part # 534mf) has worked great now for 3.5 years. just a slower start when zero degrees out, is the only complaint, but i should of got more cca's! also don't like the main. free feature. i like to pop the caps off and check the water level, so next battery will definatly be one that is NOT main. free. mike

p.s. i've been eyeing walmart batteries for years but it always made me nervous that they could have been on the shelf a while, but i guess that is true with any brand?

100_0966.jpg

x99j said:
also don't like the main. free feature. i like to pop the caps off and check the water level, so next battery will definatly be one that is NOT main. free. mike

p.s. i've been eyeing walmart batteries for years but it always made me nervous that they could have been on the shelf a while, but i guess that is true with any brand?

The general trend in the battery manufacturing business is to maintenance free batteries. East Penn uses a Silver Alloy manufactuing process that keeps the batteries from gasses like the conventional type. As a non-maint free battery gasses, it is giving off water. The is why you would want to have access to the cells. It would allow this water to be replaced. The technology they use helps eliminate the gassing which would keep you from having to worry about checking the cells.

To see when a battery was made, check the end of the case near the bottom. There is a small sticker with a letter and number. Example A8 would indicate a battery built in January 2008 while a D7 would be a April 2007. Batteries are like fruit, they can parish if not cared for.

Back