• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower Motor Resistor - Leaking????

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so the blower motor resistor was bad on my 99 cherokee, I pulled it out and it was rusted in two pieces. It has been out for 2 days and I got the new part today to put it in. It rained heavily here today (Missouri) and now we have ice. As I'm putting the new resistor in I noticed water everywhere in the carpet and dripping from the resistor area (or so I thought at least). I just put antifreeze in it and I am 100% sure the water on the carpet is not from the radiator, no antifreeze smell at all. So I am ruling out a heater core problem. Here is my question, is there anyway this can be normal for water to drip while the resistor is out? It may sound dumb but so did me believing the thermostat on my 95 camry caused it to shift to overdrive, so I'm asking any and all questions anymore as cars these days boggle my mind sometimes. Anyway, is this possibly normal to have water drip out from here, where the resistor goes? Thinking maybe water from the cowl area dripped down? If not, what do you think it might be??? Anyone else have this happen before while their resistor was out???? Please let me know, it's really bugging me to no end and I am afraid that the new resistor might be in jeopardy of causing a fire if it shorts out from the water!!!! Please let me know...thanks, Dean

Just went through this on my 93. Lucky in that I was able to just solder in a new thermal fuse tho. But I left out the resistor pack out for a while. Now it was quite freezing while I did this but the only way I can see water leaking in there is if you left the blower motor out, or the screws out of it, then water could come in from the engine compartment quite easily. But if the blower motor is in there no way. Unless 99's are completely different.

tkjeeper said:
Just went through this on my 93. Lucky in that I was able to just solder in a new thermal fuse tho. But I left out the resistor pack out for a while. Now it was quite freezing while I did this but the only way I can see water leaking in there is if you left the blower motor out, or the screws out of it, then water could come in from the engine compartment quite easily. But if the blower motor is in there no way. Unless 99's are completely different.

I only had the resistor out, didn't take anything else out or loose........it's making me thing I have a leak up top somewhere, I need to look up inside the dash and see if it might be coming from up higher.......

92xjdean said:
I only had the resistor out, didn't take anything else out or loose........it's making me thing I have a leak up top somewhere, I need to look up inside the dash and see if it might be coming from up higher.......

Anyone else have any ideas on this, thanks!

I think I have found my leak in here! The one where it talks about the antenna I believe is my problem as well. The antenna wire was soaked!!!!! Thought I would share......
Wet Floormats

Back