• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 lock right troubles...Help

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 xj dana 44 i am currently trying to put a lock right in. I can assemble the arts into the carrier but they fit very tight(i reused the stock thrust washers as per instructons) and i cannot get my pinion pin to go through. Now that was problem number one. Lets move on to problem two... So after failing to install the pinion pin I could not get tge locker parts out of the carrier. I tried and tried and hammered ans hammered and yes i did try to take out the side oppoing the pinion first as instructed by the richmond help line rep. So i take my locker down to six states and they try all afternoon and finally get it out(i dont know how). so after it all the guy at six states says the bearing races and the spacers in my locker are two different sizes and he tried 2 lock rights off the shelf and 3 different carries and they were the same.

I am lost

I dont know whats up with the pinion pin..?

I dont know why it fits so tight and wont come out easily(for me)..?

I dont know whats up with the bearing races..?
Any help wth any of the problems I have encountered would be great cause i am tired of removing that damn carrier.

Thanks
Chadwick

Its called a pinion pin in the instructions and yes the carrier had to come out and was on my bench disassembled

So I talked to the guy at six states and he said the problem was that the locker fit too loose(I assume up and down becuse side to side is very tight) and that everything was cocked in the carrier and that's why it got stuck so if anyone has any ideas or comments that would be great or even any aussie locker reviews or info on where to find one that would be great because rigt now I am tired of this run around. Thanks guys. Chadwick

FWIW - my aussie went in and out of both of the carriers that ive put it in REALLY easily...

here is a good article -
http://www.myxj.net/blog/?p=18

Thanks for the link I just read thewrite up and I had way less clearance in the middle of my locker then he did so I'm lost

So I finally got this mess all figured out. So I guess that Richmond packaged the wrong side gears in my kit and the other one they had at six states so I swithched my side gears for the correct ones and it went in so slick it was crazy. I think the whole install was done in less then an hour and a half. Thanks again to Eric at six states.

Back