• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift shackle in addition to 5.5" RE LA

Achmed

NAXJA Forum User
MY current lift is a RE 5.5 LA kit with 7.5" coils in the front to take up for bumper and winch sag. I would like to lift my rear back up about another inch or so. The rear shackles are 4.75" hole to hole. Does anyone make a shackle that is 6" hole to hole and is this a decent way to gain 1"+ in the rear of an XJ? Advice?

thats because they are, ignore that. I think some company makes a 2" lift shackle, but I don't think you'll find one any longer than that anywhere, unless you make it yourself. I'm not sure but I think maybe its Rough Country that makes it.

Performance Accessories makes a shackle that is 7.75" from hole to hole. If my current shackle is 4.75" from hole to hole, that means that based on the PA shackle being 3" longer, I should gain 1.5" of lift, correct?

Chris @ GATR said:
I wonder what the "Hole to Hole" measurement on those are? They look identical to the ones I have on the XJ now that came with the RE 5.5 LA kit.

Ok you said you didn't have the boomerrang shackles, then you do have them.
If you still have the standard leaf on there( should be 4.5") you can go up to the 5.5" rear leaf.

I wouldn't go with any longer shackles than the ones you have.

Sean

This is a boomerang shackle and is NOT what I have.
rub.re2705_s.jpg

These are the standard shackles that come with the RE 5.5 kit, which is what I have.

324.jpg

Its a really bad idea to run a shackle that long on factory mounts!

I'm sure someone will post the infamous chevy drop shackle picture....

Don't go that route, they are designed for a "flipped" shackle mount, to support hanging weight. In other words, they are thin and like to bend. They are not designed top carry a load, much less go through the abuse of wheeling.

Also, too long of a shackle is bad because the longer the shackle, the more leverage it has, so the more force it will put on the stock mount. Remember, the shackles also take a lot of side loading!

Last edited:
the Teraflex shackle provides about 2" of lift....

I'd try to contact RE and see if they make an AAL that will COMPLIMENT your pack (single leaf of same thickness/arch as the pack you have now)

I would just look into a quality 1 inch block and then whatever smaller shackle that will level it out. A block of that size won't cause alot of axle wrap or anything bad that is usually associated with block

Back