• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount single gauge?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im going to be getting a tranny cooler and gauge soon and have yet to figure out where to mount the gauge. Id like it to look somewhat factory and not hanging in some random spot. Where have you all mounted single small gauges? If you have pics go ahead and pm me them or post em up if youd like. (If this is considered a pic request let me know and Ill edit it)

Last edited:
Mounted my tranny temp guage on the drivers side A-piller. looks nice and clean

setup in my 99. theres a small, flat area there that worked perfect and clears everything behind it. spends most of its time in 4L so i can see it fine then and OK when in 2H.
2zob5ab.jpg

This is what I did. Got the pod from autozone. I think it's for a neon actually. But I cut almost everything off the pod except for the pod and a little of where it flattens out to hug the a-pillar to give me something to glue to. Then I cut a hole big enough in the stock a-pillar for the pod to be put through from the back then I epoxy'd it from the back also and let that dry then I used some filler to fill and smooth the seam and got some model paint and color matched it to the a-pillar and painted over everything and tada lol...

n15924564_37793884_2415.jpg

n15924564_37793883_2076.jpg

n15924564_37793885_2736.jpg

I have considered a tranny temp gauge and would probably put it in the pillar pod as well. However, there is quite a good amount of room behind the dash clock, but at my height it's not facing the right way to be seen well.

JIm www.yuccaman.com

I used the Autometer single gauge pod, which is listed up to '96. I used a heat gun to "modify" it just slightly so it would fit the later A piller molding better. Works great!

PICT3858.jpg

Since there are 4 "buttons" there on the corners of the gauge pod, and you can see one of the stock mounting screws below it, I'd bet on drilling into the stock panel.

You can walk into a junkyard and buy 6 of that panel for 5-10 bucks each though, so don't sweat it, drill and don't look back. If you are worried just get a spare panel before you drill, this also gives you some practice pulling/reinstalling the trim panel without worrying as much about breaking it.

Since there are 4 "buttons" there on the corners of the gauge pod, and you can see one of the stock mounting screws below it, I'd bet on drilling into the stock panel.

You can walk into a junkyard and buy 6 of that panel for 5-10 bucks each though, so don't sweat it, drill and don't look back. If you are worried just get a spare panel before you drill, this also gives you some practice pulling/reinstalling the trim panel without worrying as much about breaking it.

:doh: I must have missed that last night. Oops, haha. Thanks Kastein.

when i purchased my 87 from the previous owner, he had installed the tranny cooler gauge in the stock lighter location. I love it, easy to see, easy to get power, i later installed a three output bank on the passenger side of my center console so i could plug in my cooler, phone and i pod. it looks great, factory if the gauge matched the others on the dash.

Here's mine. Like many others, I mounted mine in front of the transfer case lever. Uncluttered - almost looks stock.

transtempgauge.jpg

During my last trans filter change, I welded in a bung for the sender and gave the pan a fresh coat of paint.

transtempsender.jpg

Back