• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd noises on cold start

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
I've got some weird noises on a cold start when it's cold outside. There are two noises, one sounds like a bearing whining, the other sounds like there's an air leak or something. It's a 98 4.0 AW4. Sounds go away when warmed up. I know my PS is bad, maybe thats the bearing noise. And one of my bolts to mount the tbody to the manifold is stripped. My map is usually 6-7psi at idle, which seems reasonable. Any ideas on what the noises could be? And btw, I'm running 5w30 synthetic oil, when it's about 10-20 degrees out.

Noises are very difficult to troubleshoot online. I would suggest you get a hold of a "mechanics stethoscope". Kind of like the ones that doctors use but with a probe and an amplifier diaphragm to boost the noise to the ear. Then start poking around, touching the probe to suspect components and areas to try to isolate the cause. When you find the problem area, you'll know it.....

Back