• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust...

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 Xj Country. The rocker panels are beginning to rot. I think it's due to the plastic guards along the bottoms of the doors because my 92 doesnt have those and not nearly the amount of rust. I live in Ohio so they both see plenty of salt. Anyhow, the rocker panels are getting pretty bad, I want to patch them but I need to find something to stop the rust and rid it of the moisture internally before I patch. whats something I can use?:cry:

insead of replacing them or patching them cut them out and run 3x5 tube there as a rock rail (i bent mine and now have this in place works and looks alot better)

As fas as treating rust I use Zero Rust, I have had excellent results with it. I have parts of my 90' that have been exposed to the harsh New England climate for two years and no return of rust. It does not have to be top coated, it comes in colors, I used black, its a cross between a flat and satin finish, has not faded at all. I also have used red and clear coated it, still looks great.
Price varies between $19 and $25 a quart, keep an eye out for JC Whitney, they periodically will have it on sale for $12 a quart. Good time to stock up.
The best thing, IMHO, about it is that it does not contain isocyanates, POR15 and the one mentioned above do. Isocyanates can kill your lungs unless wearing approved breathing gear.
As far as the rockers you can do as above or if you want the stock look, get replacemanet rockers, JC Whitney does have ones that can be welded, riveted or screwed on over the old ones. They fit real well, if you take your time. You can still cut out the rust, and cut these to fit in the area you removed and weld them in.

Back