• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my front bumper questions

rooneypower

NAXJA Forum User
So I am going to start drawing up/building my front winch bumper in the next few weeks. I have a few questions first for my drawing process. Here we go...

First off i'm using google sketchup to draw this out. I have read about CAD files that have the front end of Jeep XJ's to model your bumper off of. Does anyone have a link?

Second, I am making the bumper brackets from these plans found on this site. Is it strong enough if i make it out of 1/4" steel, or should I go with 3/8"???

Also, how long should these brackets be? I want to have the shackle mounts on the end of them.. So... what length??

Lastly, Is there a way to tuck the winch lower into the bumper so the actual bumper/winch do not stick out that much??

I think that is it for now. Thanks for the help.

Keil

rooneypower said:
So I am going to start drawing up/building my front winch bumper in the next few weeks. I have a few questions first for my drawing process. Here we go...

First off i'm using google sketchup to draw this out. I have read about CAD files that have the front end of Jeep XJ's to model your bumper off of. Does anyone have a link?

Second, I am making the bumper brackets from these plans found on this site. Is it strong enough if i make it out of 1/4" steel, or should I go with 3/8"???

Also, how long should these brackets be? I want to have the shackle mounts on the end of them.. So... what length??

Lastly, Is there a way to tuck the winch lower into the bumper so the actual bumper/winch do not stick out that much??

I think that is it for now. Thanks for the help.

Keil

Mine from THOR are 1/4 inch I believe.

The length depends on how far your bumper will stick out. and then another 2 inches for a shackle mount

You can cut your front crossmember out and put the winch behind it if you want or just cut your front grill and push the winch back into it.

-Alex

rooneypower said:
so i guess that most of my questions can be answered once i get that CAD file, then I can just determine how far the bumper will stick out.

Does anyone have any general ideas of what is a good width for a bumper like this??

I am basing most of my design off of this post. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=929730
I was going to tell you to search for my build, but looks like you already did.

1/4'' is strong enough for the mounts. Anything bigger then that is just added weight.

My bumper ended up about 3/8'' outside the fenders. I didnt feel the need to do anything wider, and that protected my corner lights.

Ya i really like your write up. The thing is, that i found the file that has the jeep in the CAD program, the thing is though, It does not show the frame, or where the bumper would connect. So my question is, how would you determine the length of the bumper brackets??

ya here I'll give you what I've got now. I deleted all of the XJ except the front. And I even have one of the bumper brackets drawn out for you too!! :)

Give me a second to load it up...

Back