• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to keep gear in first?

hoovie

NAXJA Forum User
I use my 1995 XJ mostly for off-road. Is there any way to keep the stock automatic transmission at first gear? I need it at first gear badly to coupe the downhills. I know there is a method to lockout the second gear, yet what I need is to keep it at the first.

Thanks for sharing.

:dunno:

In my 98 all you have to do is shift from park or neutral straight down into 1-2 while in 4lo and it will keep you in first till redline. It's really not the greatest but it works. If you look into awshifting he has a kit that poeple have run and it works well

I've tried your method and in fact that's how I do it now. However, my transmission will shift to second at around 2,500-3,000 rpm. The transmission is on Sport mode. If I used Comfort mode, the change will happen at lower RPM. :sure:

Add a switch inline with the tcu to hold the aw4 into first. Lots of data online as well as here. I added a couple to manually control the AW4.

AW4shifting is great its what I have on my 99 with an AW4.

You can also just wire up solenoid power on off switches. Doing this will allow you to keep it in any gear with 4 rocker switches.

hoovie said:
I've tried your method and in fact that's how I do it now. However, my transmission will shift to second at around 2,500-3,000 rpm. The transmission is on Sport mode. If I used Comfort mode, the change will happen at lower RPM. :sure:

I used to have this problem.

SOMETHING IS WRONG.

In my case, I had a short that was telling the jeep I had my foot on the brake pedal all the time - I would lose good 1-2 control and no torque converter lockup.

The solution isnt to work around the symptom, but to fix the problem. :)

cal said:
I used to have this problem.

SOMETHING IS WRONG.

In my case, I had a short that was telling the jeep I had my foot on the brake pedal all the time - I would lose good 1-2 control and no torque converter lockup.

The solution isnt to work around the symptom, but to fix the problem. :)

Yeah I guess it's the torque converter lockup. I will try to look for this problem first and get back soon, cheers! :cheers:

I thought NSS tells the TCU what gear you have selected. If so the NSS may need cleaned or replaced. That write up is also on gojeep's site.

Back