• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How good is a stock front skid plate with hooks for recovery?

turpehar

NAXJA Forum User
Three XJ's ago I got a stock front skid plate in the deal. I never used it but now I need some recovey point in the front. Can someone tell me if this will hold up to some abuse:)use" may be a better word)? If I spent the time I could build my own, but this is cheap and easy,,, which I like.

Thanks

turpehar said:
Three XJ's ago I got a stock front skid plate in the deal. I never used it but now I need some recovey point in the front. Can someone tell me if this will hold up to some abuse:)use" may be a better word)? If I spent the time I could build my own, but this is cheap and easy,,, which I like.

Thanks

Don't attach recovery points to your skid plate(s). The metal won't take the stress.

Rustys makes some MOPAR look alike tow hook brackets, except they don't have the extra gusseting for side pulls. Still, they do quite well.

A stock skid plate is good for protecting steering components from rocks (to a point) and keeps sticks and logs out of there.

Tow hooks (with the right bracketry) are supposed to be good up to 10K but I wouldn't hang my Jeep from one because it essentially comes down to 2 bolts.

You can attach a stock skid plate to the uniframe with 4 or 5 bolts (3/8"??) and the 4 little bolts.

Neither part uses the same mounting points but they can both be mounted on their own. Any different configuration that would attach hooks to the skid plate would be scary.

:wow:
If you are confused as to where these things mount up keep posting.

Ba-Riedo said:
You want to attach tow hooks to a thin piece of steel and yank on them?

-Alex

I didn't say I want to. Niether was I clear that the PO already had hooks on it. I just wanted some general opinion. The reason I hadn't used it was because it just didn't look that sturdy.

I would like to mount brackets along the frame and mount a receiver front and center, but in Illinois you have to have a front license plate. I'm sure I could find a way around that.

Mount your front reciever, build a custom bracket that goes into it with a license plate that can be removed and replaced with a D-ring shackle bracket if you want to pull in a pinch

-Alex

For recovery I run the Detours Backbone, I also have the factory front skid. It protects the steering very good with 4" lift.

spacers2ye4.jpg

Ba-Riedo said:
Mount your front reciever, build a custom bracket that goes into it with a license plate that can be removed and replaced with a D-ring shackle bracket if you want to pull in a pinch

-Alex

I knew you liked my bumper.:laugh:

xjtrailrider said:
For recovery I run the Detours Backbone, I also have the factory front skid. It protects the steering very good with 4" lift.

spacers2ye4.jpg

I went to Detours website and checked out the backbone. Pretty cool. Is yours different than the one on their site? The website shows a winch plate and roller fairleed bracket. I don't see that on yours. Did you modify the backbone or do they build a winchless version?

Thanks!

PacificEd said:
I went to Detours website and checked out the backbone. Pretty cool. Is yours different than the one on their site? The website shows a winch plate and roller fairleed bracket. I don't see that on yours. Did you modify the backbone or do they build a winchless version?

Thanks!

Yep, I had Mark build me one with out the plate. I plan on building a bumper off of the Backbone this summer and if I get a winch in the future I'll just add the winch plate.

This is a great recovery system, very well built.

Back