• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition cylinder lock seized- 2000 xj

cklaus

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, i have searched but i only find people with problems on Renix's.

My ignition cylinder lock is frozen/seized in the locked position. The steering wheel is now also locked (thanks wife). It had been doing this occasionally over the coldest days over the winter but it would always free up after you gently moved it into position just right. It has now been stuck in the locked position for 2 days and won't budge.

I know that on the 97+ cherokee's all you have to do to change the cylinder is to put the key in the on position and press the little release button on the bottom... BUT HOW CAN I GET IT OUT OF BEING STUCK IN LOCKED. I have taken the plastic trim off around the steering wheel assembly but don't see any obvious bolts or releases.

Please help.

pb blaster!!!!! let it soak in,put in youre key and tap lightly if needed on key shaft,carefull not to break the key!!

You are a brilliant genius. I had been hitting the assembly with the back end of a screwdriver but didn't leave the key in. I now did it with the key in and it worked on the first try. I had already sprayed liquid wrench this morn. You are my new best friend!

okay, now for part 2. I pulled the cylinder half way out but then it gets stuck. am i doing something wrong. the positions aren't labeled but i figure the "on" position is where the electronics come on but you haven't started the motor.
Whats keeping the cylinder stuck in?

any ideas? the cylinder lock still only comes out half way and seems to be catching on something.

it is catching. do not force it. will break the housing. if you keep the key in, keep playing with it, it will come out. I did my '95 last weekend, a pain but persistence is worth it..

cklaus said:
any ideas? the cylinder lock still only comes out half way and seems to be catching on something.

The transmission interlock cable could be the problem.
Try to push the cable in to the lock, see if that helps.

Back