• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny output seal...

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on putting an np242 on my comanche, which has an ax5 transmission. output is 21 spline, and the 242 DOES have a 21 spline input.

BUT it's a short input shaft, and the ax5 uses the long input shaft.

does anyone know a part number for a custom seal that will cover the 1/2" difference. i know there's a spacer out there but I can make one myself for cheaper...I'd rather use longer seal.

I did try searching but am no search guru so pardon if it's been brought up before...please redirect me to where that is if you know

-Pat

it's called an input shaft.

and not as much as a long shaft, but it will do.

anyone?

sorry...didn't mean that to come off the way it did. just don't want this thread mislead, if it does get me an answer.

Why not just get the correct input shaft,its an easy swap!

it's also more money.

this is cheaper.

anyone?

i would love to know the answer to this question as well. i have the same problem due to installing a clocking ring.

Last edited:
So, the input shaft on the tcase won't hit the seal? I can't think of anything offhand that will "push the seal out" by a half inch. Perhaps getting an adapter machined (press fit to the old seal bore, and push the seal out a half inch that way,) but I can't think of anything as far as a quick solution for the seal proper.

You can probably get a new input gear from Novak, but you said you didn't want to do that. However, you may end up having to - it would be cheaper than having something machined for you, I'd think.

(Oh - if you get something machined, I'd suggest an interference fit of .0005-.0015" at the "old seal" location. That should be enough that you can freeze the part and slip it in, but still have it seal for you.)

ah. hmm. i COULD weld a nonsplined "sleeve" onto the tip of the input shaft that would seal...

haha just kidding.

machine doesn't cost me anything...hardly ever even material as well. my dad's good buddy is a machinest and i've done some work with him, and for him...i know how to use his tools so he lets me do it :D i just wanted to know of a way where i didn't have to use any of my time to do it (valuable commodity, time...).

Back