• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Source for speedo gears?

redsand187

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of anywhere to speedo gears for a 87-90 XJ?

Talked to the local dealer and had them to a dealer locate, 0 parts in stock in any factory warehouse and 0 parts on had at any dealership with searchable inventory.

Quadratec doesn't seem to have them any more either...

My speedo is like 25% fast, so I'd really like to correct it.

Or does anyone know of any GM parts that would work? (I work in the areas largest Chevy and GMC dealer)

WOW!!!
31's and 3:55's = 32 tooth gear.
(according to jeepsUnlimited)

chryslerpartsdirect
$18.23

transmissioncenter
$29.00

$10.77 diff.
WOW!!!

Go to the dealer, they might have them in stock and they're cheap.

His speedo is probably cable driven and the gear might be different for the '91+ XJ's. But I might be wrong.
Anyway for anyone interested I have 3 different gears that I can sell: used stock 35 tooth for '92+ XJ, (the orange one, came off my '92); New 31 tooth for a TJ (green, sent to me in error, doesn't fit my XJ so never used); and a New 32 tooth for '92+ XJ's running 31" tires I think (again sent to me in error by same vendor. I needed a 31 tooth). If interested PM me. I'm new here, but have been on JF & JU for years.

IMG_1092.jpg

What size tires are you running?

good info! been lookin for this...

you can switch the shafts out on speedo gears...so as long as it's the right count, and you have the proper shaft for your speedo system (cable or electric), you'll be able to use it.

FWIW, I'll say that I finally got the correct gear off ebay from a guy selling Dodge gears. There wasn't a dealer anywhere that could find me a gear for my '92. The one I'm using now was for a Dodge, but by comparing all the ones I listed above by just eyeballing his pics, I got the right thing.

used gojeeps chart and gave my jeep dealer that part number

I've gotten my gears from a local speedo shop.

Last time I bought one for a YJ, the dealer was actually the cheapest at $12. Last one I got at the junkyard for $2. It was from a 3.73 geared XJ and it works perfect for my 4.10 gears with 32s.

you actually payed for something that small from the junkyard?

that stuff is worthless to them. and yes, i have a conscience, but a good friend is a junkyard owner and he would rather just not deal with those little parts, so i no longer ask about them.

A few of the gears are on national backorder apparently. I tried getting two of them from my dealer, and he searched and said no one had any in the country. In his system anyway... Last time he said that a warehouse in CA had them, but I guess they are gone as well.

I ordered them from the site mentioned above for 29.99. Im pretty sure chryslerpartsdirect wont have them either, since thats dealer based...I think. So that 10 something savings wont mean much.

I never had a problem finding them before, I guess there was a surge in gearing/tire changes and everyone wants their speedo correct. haha

J.

jeepcomj said:
you actually payed for something that small from the junkyard?

that stuff is worthless to them. and yes, i have a conscience, but a good friend is a junkyard owner and he would rather just not deal with those little parts, so i no longer ask about them.

I'm usually honest and in return they cut me lots of breaks. Usually they don't bother charging for the little stuff, and only charge me the $3 "misc electronic part" fee for TCUs and ECUs. The obnoxious guys and guys they know sneak stuff out get hit for full charge. Their prices are pretty reasonable overall, but have gone up a little. They now get $60 for a complete axle and $55 for a tranny.

wow. amazing prices

The local jeep dealer couldn't find any in stock in any of their warehouses or any other dealers, and had no ETA. Which I know with our parts, it means it's discontinued.

I have a 90 with 4:56's and swamper 32's, so about equivalent to a normal 33. I swapped transfer cases and I believe the previous owner regeared the speedo, because cruising down the freeway with the flow of traffic, that is normally 60mph while I am in my car, my Jeep speedo reads 80-85.

So if I get a gear for a 91-93 it should work?

Last edited:
jeepcomj said:
wow. amazing prices

I guess I should mention it's a pull-n-save setup so you get to browse the yard and pull your own stuff. They usually only have vehicles >10 years old which is fine for me with an 89 MJ. On the plus side, it was much cheaper to grab a set of 4.10 axles than to regear (actually I made a profit as I sold the old shafts for $125).

Back