• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you have a Haynes Manual?

Do you have some type of repair manual for your rig?

• Total voters

MiNi Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering how many people have some type of repair manual for their rig. I see treads and questions of stuff that could be found in most manuals. Understand they don't always help, but seems to be a good place to start. Anybody have anything to add?

Haynes, Chiltons, and a stack of FSMs going back to 1960.

Haynes manuals were decent for imports, but they suck for domestics. Chiltons is better than Haynes, but you're best off getting an FSM (even though they miss a few things as well.) You can get "newer" (less than 12-15 Model Years ago) FSMs at Chrysler Tech Authority, and find older ones on eBay.

5-90 said:
Haynes, Chiltons, and a stack of FSMs going back to 1960.

Haynes manuals were decent for imports, but they suck for domestics. Chiltons is better than Haynes, but you're best off getting an FSM (even though they miss a few things as well.) You can get "newer" (less than 12-15 Model Years ago) FSMs at Chrysler Tech Authority, and find older ones on eBay.

Thanks for posting that. I wanted this tread for those who don't have an idea to get one and which one they should get. I personally have a Haynes manual and I got it when I got my first Jeep and I read it like a Bible and it has done good for me thus far. But going to be adding a Chilton's to the collection as well real soon.

thanks guys for your ideas and comments on this matter. :patriot:

I have a haynes and Factory Service Manaul (FSM). Get a FSM, the haynes is only so-so, but can be easiler to use for basic itms/repairs. The FSM covers everything.

The benefit of a manual is it makes search easier, it can be carried on the trail and no waiting for the correct answer to 'pop up'

Tom

I bought a haynes manual, it's worthless for the XJ/MJ. Half the torque specs for the suspension are missing.
good for routine maintenance, not good for major repairs/modifications.
About the only good thing in that manual was the wiring diagrams, but even those weren't complete or erroneus.

FSM is the way to go, pricy, but it's all there.

I haven't seen a FSM for the XJ
maybe find one on e-bay?

BOB

Boatwrench said:
I have a haynes and Factory Service Manaul (FSM). Get a FSM, the haynes is only so-so, but can be easiler to use for basic itms/repairs. The FSM covers everything.

The benefit of a manual is it makes search easier, it can be carried on the trail and no waiting for the correct answer to 'pop up'

Tom

Right on there, I got one in the jeep and in the shop.

Yeah like I said bought it when first got Jeep and I say it gave me the basic low down on it. Everything else i had picked up working on the beast or from what others wrote and asked about. I'll have to go get me a FSM. Dealership you say to get one?

you can pick up FSM's on here once in a while, or you can get a downloadable version I believe. be careful about what your getting and who your getting it from b/c of copywright infringement. That has been discussed around here before.

BOB said:
I haven't seen a FSM for the XJ
maybe find one on e-bay?

BOB

What year? OBD-II XJs (1996-2001) can probably still be had from Tech Authority, but anything older than that is likely to be eBay, craigslist, or somewhere like that - and secondhand.

While it's not comprehensive, I've also been adding assorted tech and torque specs as I accumulate FSMs on my site (link in sig,) under the Tech Archives, so if you're hard up you can check there. If it's not listed, it's because I don't have it yet - so either pick a year close to yours (most of this stuff hasn't changed much...) or ask here, and someone can probably help you. I try to add specs shortly after I get a copy of the manual myself. And, I add specs only from factory literature - Chrysler, AMC, Kaiser, or Willys.

I have both FSM's (Engine, Chassis, Body FSM, and Electrical FSM) and a haynes. The haynes was great before i got my FSM's. For most of us here who are trying to do more then the average user, the FSM's are warranted.

I got my FSM's (NEW) off of ebay. But you can find them at the link below: (Just find your year)
http://www.thejeep.com/shop/HOT+SELLERS/Tech+Manuals-Books/

As far as posting newb questions that can be found in the manuals, i think most of us like to have some type of interaction with a multitude of of different people with different input, and views. We can then communicate even further with problems we encounter, and gain further knowledge from years of experience. I personally prefer asking a question here then opening my FSM where i only get a single approach.

Last edited:
Muad'Dib said:
I have both FSM's (Engine, Chassis, Body FSM, and Electrical FSM) and a haynes. The haynes was great before i got my FSM's For most of us here who are trying to do more then the average user, the FSM's are warranted.

I got my FSM's (NEW) off of ebay. But you can find them at the link below:

As far as posting newb questions that can be found in the manuals, i think most of us like to have some type of interation with a multitude of of different people with different input, and views. We can then communicate even further with problems we encounter, and gain further knowledge from years of experience.

Bookmarked. Thanks for that - I knew there were a couple of outfits doing reprints, but I couldn't remember who...

"Interation?" What's that?:wierd: I take it you meant "interaction?":twak: :laugh3:

I have both Haynes in paper back and the FSM on CD. My latest project which was/is a D44 rear got no coverage in either. The Haynes do not cover diff repair at all. The FSM covers the 1996 year model. The D44 was not offered in that year only the D35 and the 8.25. Both are covered in the FSM. No metion is made of the D44 which was offered / came from a 1989 XJ. I still had to bask for help from this clud. Thank you 5-90 and the others who helped to educate me. I will be putting the D44 under the XJ (filled with an ECTED and 4.10 gears) next week.

5-90 said:
Bookmarked. Thanks for that - I knew there were a couple of outfits doing reprints, but I couldn't remember who...

"Interation?" What's that?:wierd: I take it you meant "interaction?":twak: :laugh3:

Your welcome..

And yes thank you that is what i meant. Changed it. I guess i should have learned to spell by now!

Muad'Dib said:
I have both FSM's (Engine, Chassis, Body FSM, and Electrical FSM) and a haynes. The haynes was great before i got my FSM's. For most of us here who are trying to do more then the average user, the FSM's are warranted.

I got my FSM's (NEW) off of ebay. But you can find them at the link below: (Just find your year)

As far as posting newb questions that can be found in the manuals, i think most of us like to have some type of interaction with a multitude of of different people with different input, and views. We can then communicate even further with problems we encounter, and gain further knowledge from years of experience. I personally prefer asking a question here then opening my FSM where i only get a single approach.

Understand the asking concept but sometimes it's a straight forward answer. that sometimes gets dragged out and people getting flamed, over spelling errors:spin1: , just saying with regards to the golden rule; help yourself before asking to be helped, so good to have a manual as a ready source, at least you have it there.

But great input you all. Thanks again.

techno1154 said:
I have both Haynes in paper back and the FSM on CD. My latest project which was/is a D44 rear got no coverage in either. The Haynes do not cover diff repair at all. The FSM covers the 1996 year model. The D44 was not offered in that year only the D35 and the 8.25. Both are covered in the FSM. No metion is made of the D44 which was offered / came from a 1989 XJ. I still had to bask for help from this clud. Thank you 5-90 and the others who helped to educate me. I will be putting the D44 under the XJ (filled with an ECTED and 4.10 gears) next week.

And that is why I've got FSMs going so far back - I'd like to take the collection back to the military manuals in 1941, and the CJ-2A in 1946. Give me time...

And yes, the FSM for your year probably does not cover modifications - like axle or transmission swaps. For instance, the AX-15 I'm putting in my 88 isn't covered in the 1988FSM - but I've got a 1990 and a 1991 that does. You won't find the Dana 44 in too many FSMs past 1990 - and if you find it in the ZJ or WJ FSM, it will probably be the 44-1 (aluminum centre section) or the 44 IRS (late.) Simplest to get manuals for things like that from Dana proper - I've been told by my contact there that internal specs haven't changed over the life of the axles (just bolt-on stuff. Most of that can be torqued to German spec - "gutentite.")

No one manual is going to tell you everything you need to know. No ten manuals probably will - I should know, I'm trying to write a few! However, what I'm trying to do is not so much service as modification manuals - which are written with a much different scope. I still won't be able to dig up everything you'll need to know, but I've been able to find most of it, and I hopefully will be able to help you find the rest. That's the thrust of what I'm doing - since I'm not looking to go OEM on anything, I have had to cast my net much wider...

(Plus - every time I buy an FSM, it's deductible as a 'research expense' for my books. Bonus!)

Within the last two weeks on SF Craigslist auto parts there was a 1989 FSM (just the main, not the electrical) for $50 and a 2000 FSM for $60.

Well, the poll is pretty biased, it's 35:1 in favor of "yes I have a manual" but there's a huge difference between the quality of the Haynes or Chilton's and the FSM.

For the record, I've got all three. There's a Haynes and a Chilton's somewhere in the garage...but the FSM is on CD and I know where THAT is.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

yeah,i bought haynes even before i got my jeep,it helped me alot with all the little b.s. problems i had...now im looking for a fsm. 1985 amc xj laredo...pm me if yall know were i could find one thanks
dave

Back