• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on new Cherokee.

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm lookin' for some help. My 88 is just plain worn out and needs alot of repairs. I have found a good deal on a 95' Country model. It only has 76,000 miles and it's selling for 6,600. They gave it to me today to drive until tomorrow and so far it drives great. The only thing I am concerned about is it seems to be running hot. Normal running temp is at the middle line between 210 and 260. My 88' ran right at 210 or just above, so I was wondering if maybe the 95's or "newer" models ran hotter. If this is the case, I wanted to know what might be causing it to run hot besides the radiator. I want them to go ahead and replace whatever it is that is causing it to run hot. Thanks ahead of time for your help...

if your 88 rad is newer just put that in there if it fits. the only thing that i can think of is thermostat and original coolant.on the waterpump check the belt to make sure its not slipping. only thing i can think of.

The 95 shouldn't run any hotter than the 88. It should run pretty steadily around 210. The radiator might be rotten. Check the fins for gaps, corrosion or blown out bits. It's old enough for fin rot, and if so, even if it's clean inside, it will overheat. If the radiator looks all right, you might need to look at the water pump and hoses, and don't forget the pressure cap. That alone can make a big difference. Of course you should also probably make sure the temp gauge is accurate before you replace too much stuff.

I'm not saying the price is too high, but it's a pretty hefty price for the age, so you're obviously paying for mileage and condition. At that price, you should expect it to be right. Don't even think about trying to transplant the 88 system to the 95. Unless you updated the 88 to the later type, it's not a good transplant anyway.

Back