• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tail light Question

xylonjay

NAXJA Forum User
:helpme: I just picked up a really nice '97 XJ Country for a helluva deal, and it only has one issue sofar. The left taillight does not work when the lights are turned on. It will come on when the brake is applied, and the signal works (however, that is a completely seperate bulb). What I dont get is that the bulb that is for the brake/running light is on the same harness and it comes on when brake is applied but not when the headlight switch is turned on?? Any idea where to start with this one? Ive checked through alot of forumn pages and cant really seem to find the answer.:dunno: Thanks

Get a new bulb. I believe that bulb has 2 filaments , sounds like one is burned out.

The filaments look intact on both the original and the replacement. Still not coming on when pulling the headlight switch. The brake does come on though.

You did? that seems odd then. Maybe check the harness back there? I think it's behind the drivers side interior panel.

I'm not too sure what else to check.

clean the socket as well as you can and check each terminat for power. The bulb is grounded on it's base and each terminal should receive power-- one with parking lamps and the other with brake input.

I feel like an idiot. I replaced a 15 amp fuse problem solved. Or so I thought. They pretty much blew the fuse as quickly as I replaced it?? A short somewhere I suppose, I hate them damn electrical gremlins.

xylonjay said:
I feel like an idiot. I replaced a 15 amp fuse problem solved. Or so I thought. They pretty much blew the fuse as quickly as I replaced it?? A short somewhere I suppose, I hate them damn electrical gremlins.

This is gona sound retarded but...... Check you headlight harness in the front behind the L/Side headlight. I bet your problem lies there. The power wire (red) corrodes and breaks. It usually falls on the brake/hazard light wire and POP goes the fuse. I had this prob about a month ago. Wasted a LOT of money and time. Found this by accident. Search "keep blowing 15 amp fuse" I did a half azz write up. With shotty pics. LOL

:patriot:

Problem solved. I replaced the entire trailer wiring harness and thought that was the problem. Wrong. My front marker light below the drivers side headlight had some damage to it and upon closer inspection saw that the bulb's socket was toasted (looked like syrup was in there). I went to NAPA and got the replacement bulb socket, and then picked up a new marker lamp enclosure from the dealer (ouch! $32.00). Got home cut the old bulb's socket off and attached the new one and we are now good to go I gots running lights again.!!

Back