• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front pinion seal replacement

desertrandy

NAXJA Forum User
The pinion seal on my front diff is leaking and I am going to replace it this weekend. I have a '92 Cherokee with the high pinion Dana 30 and after doing a search the majority opinion is that this year axle is shimmed and does not use a crush sleeve so after reinstalling the yoke all i have to do is use a torque wrench and tighten down somewhere between 220 and 250 ft lbs. Does anyone have additional advice before I start. Thanks

Randy

check and see how many in/lbs it takes to turn the pinion before you pull it off. that way you have another reference point to go by putting it back together.

It's nice to have a yoke holding tool to R&R that pinion nut. You could probably rig something up like I did with a long pole and some scrap metal welded together, or possibly a BIG adjustable wrench.

desertrandy said:
The pinion seal on my front diff is leaking and I am going to replace it this weekend. I have a '92 Cherokee with the high pinion Dana 30 and after doing a search the majority opinion is that this year axle is shimmed and does not use a crush sleeve so after reinstalling the yoke all i have to do is use a torque wrench and tighten down somewhere between 220 and 250 ft lbs. Does anyone have additional advice before I start. Thanks

Randy

Your correct,if you have a large pipe wrench you can hold the yoke with that
you should replace the nut, if you cant use thread lock when you reinstall it

Ditto, dont worry about pinion preload it wont change on a pinion shimmed axle. A big pipe wrench works great to hold the yoke. Its a common practice to mark the pinion shaft, yoke and u-joints so they go back exactly the way they came apart. I never do it because it doesnt make sence to me. The factory never marked them and if you have an after market DS or yoke or pinion, its not marked when you put it back together. None the less, most people say mark it.

Back