• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2500.00 to stick into a '96 XJ. What to do??

jeep4play2000

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. New to this forum, and to XJ's, but not to Jeeps.

Well, I was looking for some advice on building my first XJ. It's a 96 2 door, stick, 4.0 liter all stock. I mostly like trail runs. Rocks... ehh I can take 'em or leave 'em. I plan on it being my DD with family trips off-roading once a month or so between May-November. I'll be working on about a 2500.00 budget. I would like to go no bigger than 33's. So, my question is if you had 2500.00 to put into an XJ knowing what you know already, how would you spend it? BTW, I already have a nice Warn winch, so I won't need that...

I think this has been covered quite a bit. I'm new to NAXJA too but I know how to search. Not trying to be an ass, but check it out.

Hey, you described my XJ. I also have a 96, AX-15, 4.0, 2-door.

Get a good lift of at least 4.5" to begin with or you'll be changing it later. Tires and wheels and regear axles is a good start. You will probably need to do something with the rear drive shaft if you lift over 3".

ehall said:
Recovery gear, skid plates, upgraded rear axle, and lockers
X2 on the skids and recovery points. If it's a D35 rear, yes you will want to swap that too.
If you only going to wheel it once a month, and have a winch already, you could hold off on the lockers....just for now.
Keep in mind you will need to re-gear for 33s, so fit that into your budget as well.

I'd probably go in this order if I was starting again...and limiting myself to 33s:
-Recovery Points/Bumpers
-Skids and Sliders
-Lockers, Axle swap if needed
-Lift, Gears, Tires, SYE, etc...

edited to add:
It is doubtful you can do all of this, with good parts, for $2500. You could do 3.5" and 31's for that.... You just have to ask yourself, do I really need 33s?

Last edited:
well... since you have all this cash just laying around I'd drop an initial $35.00 on a NAXJA membership... that way you can post pictures and such when you finish your build...

Then knowing what I know now... I'd go ahead and remove the doors and hatch (they scratch and dent easily)... purchase a cage, fuel cell, rocker protection, and some OBA...

OR... since you want to run 33's.. I'd pick up a nice 3.5" Lift kit w/ Adj. Trackbar (I prefer RE) some good Monotube shocks (bilstein, RE, fox, etc.), some bumpstops, differential guards or covers, t-case skid, rocker protection, and some wheels/tires...

From the junk yard: Tow hooks, skid plates, hitch, 8.25 rear axle if you´ve got a D35

Farbricate: Replace your rockers with some steel

Buy: RE 3.5" lift kit w/ good shocks, 31x10.5R15 tires, a set of cheap steelies

$2500 isn't much and it WILL go quick! just research. Its no fun when people tell you what to get and you have no idea what your doing. Its MUCH better to research and figure out what your going to be using your jeep for. will also determine what kind of tires you get. just research research research. but a good lift is going to run you about 800 bucks, with new lca's plus you'll want an adj. trac bar. recovery points if you don't have any. Shocks if they don't come with it. also you will more than likely need and SYE theres 300 bucks. 96 is when they stopped using the extension on the bell housing, which makes it more likely to have vibes. plus tires...there's 500+ depending on what tires you go with. plus rims...theres 250. So if i were you, i might would try and save a little more cash and do it right the first time instead of settling for what you can afford and want to do everything all over somewhere down the road.

Just my 2 cents!

Read the Adventure Forum. Folks building off road rigs with on road manners. Some are well thought out to give the good performance for when you are trail riding, have some muscle should you need it, but give the comfort on the interstate for the long haul home. I especially liked what IntrpidXJ did with his Wetern Trek post.

I usually follow these rules:
1st Keep it, i.e. recovery points.
2nd Protect it, i.e. skids incldg rocker
3rd Perform it. a lower regear, say 4.10s with a traction aide in the rear will get you started.

if its your family fun truck and DD I'd keep with recovery minor lift(3-4.5") slightly aggressive on road off road tires. Maybe cargo area. navigation, safety (for family)

May I just SUGGEST, search here for info on the subject ...Get your lift (one with replacement rear leaf springs) Get the SYE & DS. Then for the tires (and wheels if you must) Check Ebay and Craigs list for some used wheels/ tires. ***With only 2500 you may want to go with a Rough Country lift over Rubicon X. That way you might have some extra for other things like bumbers / Lights / etc...

Gee... thanks EvanH...lol. Anyway, thanks for all the good ideas! Skid protection is definately on the list of things to do.
If I cut the fenders can I fit 33's on a 3.5" lift, or will I need to go 4.5"?
I have 2 friends that are very good fabricators, and both have their own 4x4 shops. I have done many favors for them in the past, so I know we'll be able to work out some good deals.
I'm able to do most of the work myself, so I won't have to wory about labor too much. The only thing I don't really know how to do is weld, so I'll have to rely on my fabricating friends for that.
I have the 8.25 rear end, so I think I'll be ok there with 33's.
I have a rather large CO2 tank that was from a bar that I would like to use for on board air, any ideas where to pick up a quality pressure regulator?
Thanks again guys,
Mark

Back