• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch noise at idle and when taking off

edmaude

NAXJA Member #1368
I am looking at purchasing a 2001 5 speed with 100k on it but I noticed some more than normal noise when driving it. When at idle with clutch pedal not depressed it rattles, but noise goes away when pedal is depressed. Noise is also heard while revving engine at idle as well without pedal depressed. All noise goes away as soon as you depress the clutch pedal

Also, when taking off in 1st and going between 1st and 2nd the same noise is heard, but clutch is smooth and Jeep shifts great.

Can this be left as is for a while or is there a bearing issue that will cause added component wear if left unattended for too long. My 99 wrangler had similar noise but not as loud etc

Thanks
Ed

That noise is the throw out bearing. When clutch is depressed the noise goes away? More then likely the person who owned it before you was riding with their foot on the clutch pedal. This is not good on the bearing. If it makes that noise at all times then it is the pilot bearing. It's one of those things that should be fixed in a rare case I have seen where the pivot for the clutch fork was worn also causing the noise but then you are talking a vehicle with 195000 on the original setup. I get around 130000 miles out of my clutches,but then I replace everything from the flywheel to the clutchfork, and the slave and master cylinders.

If you're looking for a later year manual Cherokee you might want to snap this one up, they are very hard to find. I was determined to get a manual and wanted an 00 or 01 (they have a stronger nv3550 transmission) anyway after two months of looking, I pretty much gave up when I found one 80 miles away just listed. I bought it (18 hours after it was traded) and the salesman had to call another customer who said they were on their way to buy it.
Good Luck !!!

Is it alright to drive with the pilot bearing noise though and wait to have a new clutch etc installed? Everyone I have spoken to so far seems to think it is fine if I can live with the rumbling.

I bought the Jeep yesterday and will pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Anyone interested in a 96 Sport 5 speed? I want to see the old one go to a good home

It's hard to say how long it'll last. If it's making noise the race and/or balls are distorted. Just keep the clutch depressed as little as possible, as stop lights put it in neutral and let the clutch out, etc. etc. and try to get to it as soon as you can.
Congrats on the new wheels!!

Back