• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Battery Question...

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I know it matters if you don't have enough CCA's in a battery but what about having too many? for instance theres an Everstart titanium with 640 cca and another with I think 800 cca's

Check the temp that those CCA were tested at,Batteries were rated a 0* now most are rated a 32*.The more CCA the better at any temp.I had a Blue top Optima that was rated a 1000 CCA.
Wayne

Too many cranking amps will not be a problem but too few can be.
Also, cranking amps aren't the only consideration when purchasing a battery. Reserve capacity is also important. Search the web for "buying automotive battery" for more information.

My 99 came brand new off the lot with only a 500 cranking amp battery and that started my XJ just fine down to -20 (northern MN) and lasted 5 years. I bought a 800 ca one though to replace it. The 640 would probably be fine for your 4.0 but spending a little more buys you a bit more battery in other ways and probably more of a warranty too. Go mid-line and you'll be fine. When in doubt, go UP.

When you install it, good time to take the poor mans test of the alternator. Put a meter lead on each post of the battery. At high idle, it should read around 13.8-14.4 volts. One of the leading cause of early battery deaths is an under or over charged battery. :spin1:

I always up size the CCA rating. As said the rating is at 32 degrees. Heat or cold will effect the performance of the battery. At 90 degrees you will have about 75% of the capacity (CCA) The same for 0 degrees.

Back