• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling system

megabyte5689

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone converted their closed system to an open system using the autozone coolant recovery kit, and an inline filler neck with a pressure cap? If so did your Renix XJ maintain a consistent temp and not have problems with overheating or overcooling?

I had a friend do this to his 86 and never heard of him having any problems

After you install the kit, you will have to leave the cap off to get all the air out.. Then your good to go...My 89 was a bear to get this done, I tried for a weekend to get it to work right... Went back to a closed sym..

Do you know of any parts stores that might stock the filler neck. I'm hoping to get this done this weekend. I have checked O'reilly's and Autozone

I'd be interested in doing this to my closed system too. Anyone know the size required, as I guess i'd probably have to order it from the states (i'm in london), seen the jegs site, just don't know the size required

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1988 Cherokee Laredo, 4WD, Auto, 4.0litre

You need the 1 1/4" inline filler neck. It will not change the cooling system performance unless the bottle you have now isn't holding pressure. Few stores will stock the inline filler neck but around here, they can get one the next day. You can order one from Summit or Jegs. Moroso and some lesser suppliers make them.

I'm pretty sure it will enhance my systems ability to stay at a consistent temp. I have air bubbles in the system so I have been having overcooling issues. This affects my heat to and its like winter around here. I've tried every burping method except drilling holes in the t-stat, and I'm almost sure doing away with the closed system will fix this problem once and for all.

Back