• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding/Whistling noise

MJCfromCT

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got a video of my Jeep making this whistling noise which I've heard on and off for over a year now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1eNi2k-94E

When I popped the hood, I also could hear a distinct grinding sound, you can sort of hear it in this video along with the whistling, especially towards the end. It definitely sounds like something being spun is causing the grinding noise, but I'm still at a loss when it comes to pinpointing the whistling noise.

Any thoughts?

I would get a stethascope and troubleshoot that way. You can get one at NAPA or Sears, I think.
I wonder if it's the idler bearing or maybe the front harmonic balancer rubbing, as they tend to come apart and drift into the pan or front timing chain cover.

Any thoughts on the nasty grinding noise that you can hear? The whistling was something I've heard before, but that grinding noise concerns me, especially since I'll need to be making a ~250mi trip at the end of the week...

Kinda sounds like a bearing to me maybe a/c compressor?, but bearings don't usually last long after they start making evil noises.I'd start by pulling the serpentine belt off and firing it up, dont run it too long theres no alt/w/pump. might help narrow the search,good luck

MJCfromCT said:
I finally got a video of my Jeep making this whistling noise which I've heard on and off for over a year now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1eNi2k-94E

When I popped the hood, I also could hear a distinct grinding sound, you can sort of hear it in this video along with the whistling, especially towards the end. It definitely sounds like something being spun is causing the grinding noise, but I'm still at a loss when it comes to pinpointing the whistling noise.

Any thoughts?

albush1 said:
I would get a stethascope and troubleshoot that way. You can get one at NAPA or Sears, I think.
I wonder if it's the idler bearing or maybe the front harmonic balancer rubbing, as they tend to come apart and drift into the pan or front timing chain cover.

Good idea but you don't need a stethascope to do this. I wouldn't go buy one...if you have a long screwdriver, you can use that to isolate noises.

mine has never done this before and now after not driving for a few months it started, it gets progressively louder then gos away? i thought bearing on ac compressor too or air leak somewhere cuz i have a cracked header? you ever figure it out?

I haven't pinpointed it yet, as I've been pretty busy w/schoolwork. Here's a question: if I take the belt off, is there an easy way I can check to see if the idler pulley is in need of replacing?

I am currently dealing with the same exact issues. I dont hear the grinding as much though, but the whistling.....oh my freakin god i want to drive the jeep off of a bridge when it starts.

It is horribly sparatic and has no real distinct problems.

Couple of things i have noticed:
1)Seems to only happen when the temp hits 210
2)Sound is there without out electric fan on
3)Sounds goes completely away once i hit 2k rpm and up

I just got a stheascope, and havent been able to get into the engine bay while still making the sound. Couple of times the sound has COMPLETELY gone away as soon as i open the hood...really freakin annoying. The only thing i can slightly narrow it down to is the alternator, which just sounds much noiser after the whistling starts.

This is on a '00 Cherokee BTW.

Back