• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plasma cutter and axle question.

AZRockRunner

Nobody
I am finally ready to start on the axle swap for my 90 cherokee. I got a Ford 8.8 with complete disk brakes and 4.10 gears.
My question is, can I use a plasma cutter to remove the leaf perches instead of a grinder? I have read that some people have cut into the axle with a grinder and a plasma is VERY accurate. I am only concerned with the amount of heat generated.

Also, can Iuse the Ford shock mounts or do I have to fab my own?

Thanks

A plasma is accurate yes, but the size of the nozzle on a plasma will prevent you from getting the right angle on it. Been there, done that.

I used a grinder the last time and it worked just fine. Used the same grinder to get the remaining spring perch welds grinded down flush with the axle tube.

First congratulation on scoring the much sought after Ford 8.8 31-spline + disks with the 4.10 gear option-I am hopeing that you got a fair or reasonable price-I just left the local boneyard this afternoon and the "pickin" was pretty slim + expensive -I just ground my ole Ford perches off with my favorite little 4"-inch Makita grinder-I would save and use that nice plasma cutter for something like fabricating some new spring perches out of maybe 2"-inch by 4"-inch box tube-Maybe someone more knowledgeable here on the forum can but I can't remember who or whom did an excellent write-up on the subject-I would advise looking into the archives here at NAXJA and perhaps in the process save yourself a little money.
bxj

XJ_Vikings said:
Is it really that easy to cut into the tubes with a grinder?

I used a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel on it. You'll find them next to the 4" grinder wheels in the hardware store. It wasn't bad at all. Use the cuttoff wheel to get the biggest part off then clean it up with the grinding wheel.
You won't be able to use the Ford shock mounts. IIRC, they are attached to the spring plates. At least I think mine were. On second thought you might be able to make them work, I dunno. It'd be just as easy to use the D35 shock mounts. I used the cut, chop reweld method on my old D35 shock mounts.

100_1954.jpg

Back