• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hydrogen?

interesting concept, I posted it up on my local board to see what others thinks. That site listed above is based in my province, maybe I'll pick up one of these kits and test it out?

My issue though, what about in cold weather? Wouldn't the water freeze?

Ok who is this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EF9QMZC9wM

Last edited:
Hydrogen is the lightest gas known to man. It is not very dense at all and to be viable as an automotive fuel it has to be compressed. I think 300 gallons of uncompressed hydrogen contains the same energy as one gallon of gasoline (needs verification).

I don't know how much truth there is to hydrogen acting as an agent to provide clean burning gasoline, but I reckon the generator would need to be producing quite a lot of hydrogen even if it is only contributing a 25% improvement in fuel economy with gasoline as the primary fuel.

For arguments sake, lets say your Jeep gets 20mpg at a continuous speed of 60mph.

60mph is 60 miles travelled in one hour of time.

The number of gallons per hour consumed to travel this far at this speed is 60 / 20 = 3

So assuming the Hydrogen Generator is supplementing the gasoline by 25% at a density that can provide equivalent energy to gasoline, the number of gallons per hour that the Hydrogen Generator would have to produce is as follows...

25% of 3gph gasoline = 0.75gph gasoline

0.75gph gasoline x 300 = 225gph uncompressed hydrogen

This is the reason why hydrogen fueled cars have no cargo space, it's taken up by fuel tanks even with the hydrogen compressed.

I don't dispute that electrolysis can separate hydrogen from water. I am just very skeptical that any generator like this can simply produce enough hydrogen on demand at sufficient density from such a small quantity of water to make any difference at all to the fuel economy of a gasoline engine.

Anyone know any different?

hydrogen is not very inefficient to burn I know of some busses that run it and they need like a supercharged V12 to equal a naturally aspirated v6. And by the way isent liquid hydrogen like -400F below zero.

Don't get me wrong. Compressed Hydrogen in liquid form is a viable auto fuel and I understand that there is a Federal program already in place to setup a refueling network in the USA and not just in California.

I would be very happy if my Jeep could run on hydrogen extracted from water contained in an onboard tank. I'm just not convinced that this device can produce enough even to satisfy the manufacturer's claims based on my simple understanding of hydrogen. There's no compressor in the kit so it must only generate hydrogen at atmospheric pressure.

I don't think that there will be many people willing to part with $700 to be a guinea pig. If it really can perform as claimed the manufacturer would be giving sample installations away free to the auto magazines to test and write about.

when you break down the H20 you also get pure oxygen. Even though, as you stated, it's only working at atmospheric pressure, the pure o2 would have to have another positive effect on it. But, like you said, it's not working under pressure. . . NOS works on the principle of supplying more o2 to the cylinders by bonding with everything else, but has the side effect of producing very high temps. So would the little o2 being used create that big of a positive effect after all?

Back