• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ring and pinion info

mk153smaw

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I just got my 4.56 set at the house today. In the D30 is a 3.55 set currently. What are the ring and pinion counts for the 3.55? I am wondering if maybe I dont have to change out the pinion maybe, thus making the gear swap super easy.
I have never done a gear change on the D30 before and I have the full gear set ans master install kit.
I am just looking for the least complicated way to install the 4.56 set.

yes I have a new carrier, a tru-trac

dana 30 3.54= 46-14
4.56= 41-9

Maybe you should pay for the setup, being that you are looking for a short cut like this :scared:

bics90xj said:
Ring and pinions are a matched set NEVER interchange them!!!!! If you do not have a press, dial indicator, touque wrench, and extra shims do not try it.
x2, regular torque wrench, and a inch/pounds torque wrench!!!!!!

RyanM said:
dana 30 3.54= 46-14
4.56= 41-9

Maybe you should pay for the setup, being that you are looking for a short cut like this :scared:

That is what I was looking for, thanks.

bics90xj said:
Ring and pinions are a matched set NEVER interchange them!!!!! If you do not have a press, dial indicator, touque wrench, and extra shims do not try it.

That is not always the case. I am working with 14b's and I can swap a bunch of the offfered ring and pinion combos to make anything from 4.10 to 6's.
Unless the D30 is something special with a diffrent pinion length for each pinion type, you can match up a few diffrent ring and pinion combos.. hence having diffrent ratios available.
I was asking for the ring and pinion counts. This post is for everyone who had a similar answer. I never said I have never changed gears before.

bics90xj said:

X 3 NEVER! ........unless you don't like your truck.

Ring and pinions are a matched set from the factory. Never put them in without their matching partner. If you are not sure what you are doing my advice would be to have them done by a professional. It does not seem complicated but if you dont get the mesh right in the gears they will whine and growl when you move. Also make sure you have a good size impact to put on the pinion nut because the crush sleeve that does with it need to be torqued to something like 400 or 450 ft/lbs. I have done quite a few of these myself and never used a dial indicator I just make sure that I always take a measurment of the original pinion plus the shims that are installed and then transfer that measurment to the pinion before the install. Another trick is to slightly grind out the inside of the pinion bearing(old) so that it will just barely slide off and on the new pinion. I will have to say that I was a little nervous when I did my first set but after that it was a piece of cake. You will never know if you can accomplish the task if you dont try it, take your time and make sure you double check everything twice or heck even three times. This was kind of a long reply but if you need more info send me a pm and I will try to awnser any questions you have.

mk153smaw said:
That is not always the case. I am working with 14b's and I can swap a bunch of the offfered ring and pinion combos to make anything from 4.10 to 6's.
Unless the D30 is something special with a diffrent pinion length for each pinion type, you can match up a few diffrent ring and pinion combos.. hence having diffrent ratios available.
I was asking for the ring and pinion counts. This post is for everyone who had a similar answer. I never said I have never changed gears before.
RLMFAO!!!!
:explosion

Also make sure you have a good size impact to put on the pinion nut because the crush sleeve that does with it need to be torqued to something like 400 or 450 ft/lbs. I have done quite a few of these myself and never used a dial indicator

WTFAYTA?:huh:I have never seen a pinion nut torque spec. calling for anything close to 450 ft.lbs

Last edited:
mk153smaw said:

You have got to be kidding me. That's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this board!

If you've got a couple of new sets, you can probably get away with "mixing and matching" - while the gears are lapped together as a set at the factory, they aren't really "worn in" to each other.

If you've run them for any length of time, don't even try it. Once you get a set of gears worn in to each other (the stresses are immense,) you don't want to mix them up. You can get away with slight variations if you take them apart and put them back together again, but only slight.

It's kind of like cams & lifters - you can put new lifters on a used cam, but you can't put used lifters on a new cam. Also, if you even think you've mixed up your lifters on disassembly and inspection, trash them and get new ones (since they "wear in" to the individual lobes.) I've seen overhauls wrecked in short order because two lifters were swapped - requiring a teardown, new cam, and new lifters.

Also, if you're going to mix rings & pinions from different sets (new only!) make sure they're going to mesh before you install them! Helix angles are usually different for different cuts, and if they're not going to mesh, you're going to wreck gears very quickly!

lamula said:
I have done quite a few of these myself and never used a dial indicator

WTFAYTA?

Lessons can be learned from this

People, never let anyone setup your diff if they think they know what they're doing, ie. they don't check the backlash!!!!!!!

Some good advice on here.
5-90 hit the nail on the head though with the mention of the helix. each gearset is cut to match for that particular ratio and only that ratio.
and before you give me that.... bla, bla, bla I've done lots of gearsets this way..... just shutup. I make money off people like you. you do something like that for somebody else and then they go to bring it over to me to have it done right. I've seen shops actually hammer out a crush collar cuz they were to cheap to pick one up at napa.

Yeah, all the sets were new or extremely little time on them.

Rawbrown said:
5-90 hit the nail on the head though with the mention of the helix. each gearset is cut to match for that particular ratio and only that ratio.
and before you give me that.... bla, bla, bla I've done lots of gearsets this way..... just shutup. I make money off people like you. you do something like that for somebody else and then they go to bring it over to me to have it done right. I've seen shops actually hammer out a crush collar cuz they were to cheap to pick one up at napa.

And I bet the crush collars are cheap as well. I've done plenty of brake lines for people who thought they could reuse the "dead soft" banjo washers on brake calipers. Same theory applies.

mk153smaw said:
I can swap a bunch of the offfered ring and pinion combos to make anything from 4.10 to 6's.

you can match up a few diffrent ring and pinion combos.. hence having diffrent ratios available.
New or not,This is still the funniest part!!

Rawbrown said:

This is so true...half my work is re-doing someone's crappy gear install that either blew up, or was getting ready to. Works for me though...customer satisfaction (and making the other guy look like an idiot) is the best advertisement ever:D

Back