• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chromate finish / etching primer / bare steel

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone here familiar with chromate finishes on steel? I plan on using etching primer before painting (bumpers)... But, what is Chromate finish? is it unnessesary to use etching primer when this coating is applied.

I'm planning on painting tomorrow.

GOOGLE for your answer. At my shop we get Yellow Zinc Chromate applied to our steel parts to retard or prevent rusting. Some lift kit parts have a yellow zinc finish. The cost of applying it would greatly outweigh any benefit on a bumper.

If you use quality etching primers and finish paints, pay very close attention to your preparations and application, no other coatings or surface conversions are needed.

POR-15 has a complete line of prep and paint products and is well worth the money. You get a thick, flexible, moisture and damage resistant finish. I have used it on bumpers, axles, and rock rails.

I worked for Sherwin Williams for 5 years and spent the last 2 at a commercial/industrial store in OKC. Our zinc chromate primers were very strong anti corrosive primers, The thing with the zinc chromate, besides zinc raising in price over 200 % in less than a year, is that usually you spray it directly over prepared steel, then use an epoxy primer, usually followed by a urethane topcoat. Anyway, that is how they did all the bridges and how they are doing the new Dallas stadium. Usually, etching primer is for metals like aluminum where there is nothing for the coating to bite into. Steel is an easier metal to paint because it has a better profile. Help that helps some.

Back