• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ORO U-Turn Steering System

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about 4 clicks away from purchasing this setup. I am sick of dealing with so many problems with my Rusty's tie rod conversion kit and this looks like a great setup, but haven't found a thread with anyone giving their 2 cents on their experience with this setup. I love how it is a complete bolt-on kit and you can use the stock track bar setup. Anyone heard anything bad about this kit? Here's a detailed look at the kit:

http://jeepin.net/features/uturn

Thanks.

Knowing what i know of steering and suspensions I think this looks like a great setup.. I have been looking for ideas on the best way to do something similar and I may have just found my insparation. I both like and dislike the way they used the bolts for the bearing to hold the back part of the TRE adapter in place. It makes for a great easy no mess up kinda install. At the same time tho if you break a U-Joint on the trail that means that you have to take that off as well (and the other tire will need to be off the ground or at least on level ground) so that there is no pressure on the front TRE pushing on the knuckle that your jeep is relying on to stay put. Other than that it is good and strong with adequate places for adjustment.

Looking at the extra pics I noticed that the reason that they hung the right left TRE under the arms is for clearance of the drag link. they had to bent the drag link in a way to get it to clear all the garbage that is above the axel. But they also raise all the mounting points so that still nets you more clearance with a stronger thicker bar.

J

Really i think its fairly expensive...... You can definately get a system that is as strong or stronger, without some "bolt on adapter" & with more ground clearance for the tie rod. Look at JCR 1 Ton set up for example. http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=S6
Under $300 & you can run it OTK for more clearance.

Also, look at the drag link & track bar angles with the ORO system..... you would defiantely want to move the track bar over axle to obtain better angles otherwise mucho bumpsteer.

All in all its your money..... ...but think about is that system really worth over $600???

Steve, the owner of ORO, is a great guy. Back when i didnt know anything about jeeps he helped me put my RE lift on and charged me way below what his normal hour rate was because i "helped". really i just got in the way. He showed me the prototype of his airock system and it is amazing. all his products are his own and he builds them to one of the highest standards i have seen. the u turn may be more expensive but it is the last steering setup you will need to buy. I dont think you could find one person on this forum or any other who was unhappy with his products.

i've had the U-turn for about 6 months (daily driver) and have experienced bumpsteer only once (may have had more, but only one that was very noticable), with stock trackbar location. a definite plus in the U-turn is that the tie-rod is bent where the passenger side swaybar connect (axle end) resides, completely clearing it. on the stock steering setup and at my 5.5" lift, the tie-rod/draglink would hit the swaybar mount at full turn. (an option was to get the JKS swaybar extended mounts but since i don't know how to weld, it would've cost me extra for labor to have those installed).

Last edited:
I ordered the steering setup today. I plan on changing the location of the track bar to the top of the axle as soon as I can to eliminate any bumpsteer issues that I might encounter. I'm really looking forward to getting rid of Rusty's tie rod conversion kit. I figure I'll be able to get at least a hundred bucks off e-bay for it. I got the U-turn setup from the least expensive web site I could find:

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=ORO-UTURN

That is the final price including shipping, so I was thankful they offered that, considering the expensive price of the setup! I'll post up pics/details once I get 'er put on.

mattyj said:
Really i think its fairly expensive...... You can definately get a system that is as strong or stronger, without some "bolt on adapter" & with more ground clearance for the tie rod. Look at JCR 1 Ton set up for example. http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=S6
Under $300 & you can run it OTK for more clearance.

Also, look at the drag link & track bar angles with the ORO system..... you would defiantely want to move the track bar over axle to obtain better angles otherwise mucho bumpsteer.

All in all its your money..... ...but think about is that system really worth over $600???

X2

Back