• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I know, t-case oil

scottmcneal

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry but i'm dumb tonite.. I need to find what kind of oil i need for my 242 t_case...I wrote it down but i can't find..

thank you for your time :repair:

scott

i know on the 231 atf+4 means certain DETH... some searching shows conflicting things.... i would wait for a definate answer before checking AGAIN before putting anything in.

you could allways check if the plug says something on it, (like II for dexron/mercon 2/3)

scottmcneal said:
grimm will say some thing i bet. LOL
i would! :D

i dont know anything about 242's, sorry ;) for some reason my computer at work wont let me log in from home right now.... so i cant help you there either. if you post in the tech section someone will know for sure, and you'll get alot more people looking at this post who might know what they are talking about.

-G

xcm said:
i know on the 231 atf+4 means certain DETH... some searching shows conflicting things.... i would wait for a definate answer before checking AGAIN before putting anything in.

you could allways check if the plug says something on it, (like II for dexron/mercon 2/3)

Chrysler recommended DexIII for earlier TCs and ATF+4 for later models.
Considering that ATF+4 is supposed to be an improved ATF, why not?
Where did you see that it kills TCs?
My 01 WJ has been using it since factory in the 242 and it is working fine.
Replaced the factory ATF+4 with more of the same a couple of times and the fluid always looked good coming out. My wife runs it in 4FT all the time.
I use ATF+4 in my 99XJ and AMSOIL ATF in my 96. Works great!

I run mobil-1 in the 231's and 242 on the ZJ.

Dexron or ATF + series should be fine in the transfer case - you don't have clutches to worry about. All you need is a light lubricating oil that the lightweight pump in the 'case can handle.

It's when you cross the lines in the slushbox itself that you start running into trouble...

falcon556 said:
I think they have the best oil, but they don't know how to sell it.
It is a pain to find it when you want it.
If I could find it at Wallmart or auto parts stores, I'd use it every time.

Stop shopping at China*Mart or at big chain auto parts stores....

Here is a dealer right in Tulsa...
Bobs Oil Change
3727 South 109TH. East Avenue
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74146
Phone: (918)664-0237

Last edited:
w_howey said:
Stop shopping at China*Mart or at big chain auto parts stores....

Here is a dealer right in Tulsa...
Bobs Oil Change
3727 South 109TH. East Avenue
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74146
Phone: (918)664-0237

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Just trying to help out, not twisting anyones arm. Amsoil products are easy to get. place an order online, UPS right to your door! and if I can help someone get wholesale price's why not? It's their choice.

Triple4x4 said:
Just trying to help out, not twisting anyones arm. Amsoil products are easy to get. place an order online, UPS right to your door! and if I can help someone get wholesale price's why not? It's their choice.

My question to you is, what is [email protected]?
It is not a web page because it includes a "@" and it is not an email because it includes a "WWW"

Back