• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranfer case thump on body

1sickhick

NAXJA Forum User
my tranfer case started thumping against the body of my jeep.Did a swap 91"ax15 to 96"ax15 not long ago but this problem just came up.Changed trannie mount a little better but stll happens.IT's the tabs sticking out on drivers side that hit.Anyone have any idea??:peace:

---JACK---

how are the motor mounts?? is the new tranny longer?? driveshaft bottoming out??

You could just hammer in the body where it hits.

mjma said:
how are the motor mounts?? is the new tranny longer?? driveshaft bottoming out??

You could just hammer in the body where it hits.

Moter mouts new 1yr ago trannies casting is different but length is the same.

---JACK---:wave:

So both the motor and the tranny mounts are new and still good? If so, I would check to make sure theyre torqued down and not loose.

I've gone through 3 sets of aftermarket rubber motor mounts last season, don't rule them out.

YA i've been thinking about getting poly mounts.Thanks for the input fellas .I'll bye ya'll a beer in Moab in OCT.:peace:

---JACK---

Noooo.. Poly will just give you vibes... My motor mount bolts sheared in the block because of those things... not enough give..

ZacSquatch said:
Noooo.. Poly will just give you vibes... My motor mount bolts sheared in the block because of those things... not enough give..

I would say that it was not the mounts fault. It would be the bolts working their way loose that caused them to break. I had the same thing happen on my YJ

i think the key point here is that it just started. something came loose or broke. check the bolts that secure the mount to the trany.. those get stripped all the time.

ZacSquatch said:

But OEM ones have to be replaced every year or so.BUT they are "CHEAP"!:sure:

Did the trans come out of a TJ? The only reason I'm asking is because the t-case is clocked up to clear the crossmenber/skid plate in a wrangler

Justin

xjjeeper19 said:
Did the trans come out of a TJ? The only reason I'm asking is because the t-case is clocked up to clear the crossmenber/skid plate in a wrangler

Justin

thats what i have in mine a AX-15 from a 98 TJ and its clocked to far up and i need to re drill the holes or find a clocking ring???

MufflerBearing said:
thats what i have in mine a AX-15 from a 98 TJ and its clocked to far up and i need to re drill the holes or find a clocking ring???

I redrilled the holes in mine, I have an NV3550 out of a 2003 TJ, and a NV241OR, and that sucker is huge. I had to drive with a hacked up crossmenber to make it work till I had the time to re-drill the holes. It works fine now that it's re-clocked down a little bit. I had a AX-15 before that was out of a cherokee, it fit perfectly. I didn't want to cut the floor out, so I just re-drilled it instead.

Justin

I cut the tab off the transfer case that was rubbing and gave a few good massaging to the tunnel no more rubbing.

Back